John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1789 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2011, 05:52 PM   #17881
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsem View Post
Your own recordings of Southpaw Jones and others ought to sound utterly different than what they'd sound like at a live venue.
Nope, they sound remarkably the same (I frequent small venues), even when doing a comparison minutes after the recording. Come down for the Lee Barber show/taping and find out for yourself. Live music, no PA- that's my reference point.
Old 14th November 2011, 06:06 PM   #17882
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Nope, they sound remarkably the same (I frequent small venues), even when doing a comparison minutes after the recording. Come down for the Lee Barber show/taping and find out for yourself. Live music, no PA- that's my reference point.
THIS year, I fully agreed; the recording was remarkable 'live' sounding. I remember when the applause came out of the speaker and several people just looked up, startled, who was applauding at that point. Nope, was the recording.

But at last years concert at your place Stuart I thought there was appreciable difference between the live and recorded. I don't remember the exact recording/mike setup from that time, but this year's mike set with the artificial head Scott brought along must have made the difference.

jan
Old 14th November 2011, 06:20 PM   #17883
diyAudio Moderator

A few differences in the recording setup. Scott's mikes are terrific- I'm lusting after a pair. The year before, the mikes were quite crude- for the concert/taping on December 3, we'll use my newer ribbon/Blumlein mikes- the comparison with Scott's should be very interesting.

One of the songs from the Southpaw Jones show will end up on your site as supplementary material for Part 2 of the mike article.
Old 14th November 2011, 06:43 PM   #17884
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I want clarify my point by saying your recordings should sound different than the PA system at a live venue.

John

Last edited by jlsem; 14th November 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 14th November 2011, 06:45 PM   #17885
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
THIS year, I fully agreed; the recording was remarkable 'live' sounding. I remember when the applause came out of the speaker and several people just looked up, startled, who was applauding at that point. Nope, was the recording.

jan
Did anyone's wife come out of the kitchen and ask who was applauding?

John
Old 14th November 2011, 06:57 PM   #17886
diyAudio Moderator

As a matter of fact, yes. My wife, who doesn't care about audio (I mean, the cliches keep piling up!), was startled, and immediately declared it the best reproduced sound she's ever heard. She didn't have to come out of the kitchen, it's all of one piece with our living room.

She already thought highly of Scott, this just confirmed her opinion.
Old 14th November 2011, 06:58 PM   #17887
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I want clarify my point by saying your recordings should sound different than the PA system at a live venue.

John
Jeez, I certainly hope so.
Old 14th November 2011, 07:06 PM   #17888
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My wife, who doesn't care about audio (I mean, the cliches keep piling up!), was startled, and immediately declared it the best reproduced sound she's ever heard.
Most probably thousand times better
Old 14th November 2011, 07:11 PM   #17889
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post

But at last years concert at your place Stuart I thought there was appreciable difference between the live and recorded. I don't remember the exact recording/mike setup from that time, but this year's mike set with the artificial head Scott brought along must have made the difference.

jan
Jan, just to clarify I was experimenting with what Rob Danielson calls a "head spaced barrier pair" which is a simplified dummy head setup. It gives a semi-binaural effect that seems to work on headphones and speakers alike. Here is more on similar stuff... caperteebirder.com - birdsongs and landscapes
Old 14th November 2011, 07:11 PM   #17890
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did anyone's wife come out of the kitchen and ask who was applauding?

John

Hide this!Advertise here!