John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, PMA, an excellent example. YET, that sort of waveform is necessary to bring out the DA in caps. An example: Look at the top waveform, it is asymmetrical too!

Attachments

• cap test2.jpg
    cap test2.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 178
Degrees OF Separation...

Thanks Dan for your comments. I don't like 'fashion' either. Dr. Dree's headphones are a good example. I also know the people who work behind the scenes, and while they are nice to me, and technically capable, they are VERY CYNICAL about audio quality, and it does rub me the wrong way. In fact, I am going to have lunch with them, today! Can't pass over a home cooked meal! '-)
I am working in with some guys who are on first person basis with your guys...maybe interesting times ahead.
These headphones are for Rap music...monitor quality is not the design goal :(
Enjoy your lunch on them. :)

Dan.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Of course, Monster sponsored it!

Initially. Then that relationship soured, and according to a friend, one wag at Monster Cable said they were now Dead Beats :D

As I may have mentioned, according to another friend the new controlling owners intend to dominate all of consumer audio. And they might manage to do that with their marketing skills and bravado and arrogance. For a sample of the latter be sure to read the article on Jimmy Iovine in Rolling Stone, one of our audio journals of record :usd:

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I am working in with some guys who are on first person basis with your guys...maybe interesting times ahead.
These headphones are for Rap music...monitor quality is not the design goal :(
Enjoy your lunch on them. :)

Dan.

One listener said that with another brand he felt he was in the middle of the band. With Beats he felt he was in the middle of the bass drum.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pano, please be fair. Bose has good marketing, but it also produces speakers with keen knowledge of psyco-acoustics.
Oh I certainly agree. IMO they are no better or worse than a lot of other brands, but their marketing skills are second to none. The Beats stuff may end up surpassing them, tho. At least for awhile.

Future historians will mark the beginning of the decline of Western Civilization by the day that our universities began offering degrees in "Marketing". :(

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Right now it is a mixed bag.... if you look at the headphone product on the shelves, some have only Beats as owner, some have three names as Designed by and others have only Monster for owner. Seems that the breakup wasnt clean and there are some from each and some from both.
The major headphone companies which have been around for decades were asleep at their marketing wheel. Until a new comer entered their domain and did the marketing to a nitch they had been ignoring.

Now its a marketing fight over that nitch. The consumer will have to sort thru it but will benifit from the competition.

-RNM

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Here is another view (not entirely objective) of the beats/Monster story: Beat By Dre: The Exclusive Inside Story of How Monster Lost the World

Having been close to the front line throughout the process its mostly accurate. However two scorpions in a bottle may be a better model for what happened.
That's a great story! Thanks Demian and Steve!

I shall forward the link to a couple of people who may not have seen it, with the appropriate caveats about the details.

What is particularly impressive is the "Beats" processing, which supposedly has been incorporated into car audio systems. This should have Harman worried a lot, but they are probably too busy, in other ways, performing target practice on their feet :D

I do still recommend the RS article about Iovine, which has much more to do with his career than with Beats, but nonetheless has some astonishing bits related to the headphones, his acknowledged hearing loss, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.