John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pavel,
I know very well you don't only theorize.
Please point to the thread, once it will be up.

John,
I, for one, never criticized you. I believer neither did Pavel. That RFI immunity can be improved doesn't mean that it would be cost-effective in case of the BT. You explained clearly how each and every shielding solution of yours is being criticized and I understand your considerations in each case.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
Thank you.

If the amount of RFI ingress is sufficient to upset circuits and cause intermodulation with an audio signal, wouldn't most forms of RFI ingress also result in an audible disturbance in the absence of the audio signal?
I guess that would depend on whether anyone was around to hear it. If the volume is turned down in a preamp, then most of the gain is gone except for the 30 ish dB in the amplifier. The only sound you are likely to hear are difference frequencies and something that sounds like a hum with a "buzz" quality.

Once you are processing a signal, the effects will probably become far more pronounced. Now you have an audio signal for the RFI to interact with. By definition (of an audio signal), you can hear the effects for sure. You can also measure these effects. Note that most electronics benches are electrically quiet with a local ground node common to the test equipment. We do that so our readings will not be disturbed as much by the RFI surrounding us all. There have been many times when these problems do not show up on my bench, but they do once the equipment has been returned to it's normal environment. At least I expect this.

Its interesting to note that the old reliable cell phone test produces very audible artefacts.
It sure does, but that test has too many variables to be accepted. Now, can you imagine how much they can charge for a calibrated RF noise source with standard test formats and frequencies? They do use this when testing WiFi and radio link industrial devices.

I think that the goal is to restrict audio equipment to operate only in the audio range. That should improve the performance quite a lot. Also, expect the worst RFI environment for any new designs. I have no doubt this will become a common situation as time goes on.

-Chris

john curl said:
Oh, going to criticize and run? Sounds like what they accuse me of.:fight:

You have different avatars guys so we can tell for sure who is writing. ;)

But I want to support both of you referring Joshua to his cellphone he has in his personal possession now. It has powerful transmitter inside and a tiny microphone with it's amp and compressor. Opening it he can learn from the real example how can be done what he is asking about.

I have now looked at most of both Blowtorch knots. At first I though having an avatar create a web thread, brilliant advertising. Then by page 200 or so the no more blowtorches to be, limited that thought.

A few errata; Donald L. Feucht & Aubrey G. Milnes wrote the semiconductor book. Dennis L. Feucht has the web site.

Crown Amplifiers have traditionally been the largest selling professional amplifiers used for applications where almost no one is within a hundred feet or so of the loudspeakers. In the past they have provided lots of power with little fuss.

John asked about resistor types, I have been using the tantalum nitride surface mounts.

Relays and audio switches should have bifurcated gold plated cross bar contacts. Western Electric used their own alloy, otherwise that is how they did it.

There is a base level of vibration in most places of 5 mG. This shows up as signal in all capacitors that have a DC bias.

But the real kicker is Ohms law is an observation, all conductors deviate from it.

Using an Audio Precision System 2 and an instrumentation amp with a 60 db gain using the LME49740 opamp allows me to measure audio interconnect distortion. If I attached it right, (Only seems to take a thumbnail, so this note may show up multiples) shown is a short silver cable vs a cheap gold plated 2 m piece. Test tones were 21 and 22 kHz at a level of 300 millivolts.

Attachments

• thumb.gif
    thumb.gif
    3 KB · Views: 951
A friend of mine who works for Vicor turned me on to this link:

http://uk.geocities.com/cyrilb2@btinternet.com/cable_3.html

The dowload page has a .pdf that is worthy of a read. The comments on the D. Self "blameless" are worth the price of admission, imho.

I think this article explains the RFI & speaker cable issue satisfactorily... and shows how to make the proper network for your specific system.

<Blowtorch content>Wondering if the same effect occurs on "ordinary" RCA interconnects or not? </Blowtorch content>

Simon7000, not sure if you are suggesting that Mr. Curl is trying to sell any Blowtorches?, fyi. The product is in the "legacy" category at present. The discussion is for educational and edificational purposes only. :D

_-_-bear

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bear,
Excellent site. I have already downloaded most of that stuff. The site is currently not responding because the bandwidth has been exceeded. It might come back on line in an hour or so.

Thank you for reminding me. Is that "Cables_at_AF.pdf" file a new one? It's the only one I want right now, looks interesting.

-Chris

Wavebourn said:

But I want to support both of you referring Joshua to his cellphone he has in his personal possession now. It has powerful transmitter inside and a tiny microphone with it's amp and compressor. Opening it he can learn from the real example how can be done what he is asking about.

I used to service cell phones, so I know very well how they are constructed inside.
It doesn't answer my question.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
If you were to design a new preamp with the same ideas, how would you go about it these days?

Not, "it can't be done". The best effort for the current parts availability for production (to avoid small quantities of rare parts). Things like line stage gain, or no gain, but buffered. The phono section, to also build in an MC section so the user can switch it in and out?

On a completely different subject, I was talking to someone yesterday that we have both met and know. He is sure we would hit it off in person. I guess a computer screen does make a large difference. Too bad.

-Chris

I would not necessarily do anything different, except make a smaller box, in order to reduce the wire length. When the box was first designed it was made deep in order to accomodate, balanced input, a phono stage, and an output buffer. Very few units got a phono stage, only one balanced input was made, and no output buffers were needed. Therefore, we could have made the case more shallow and reduced the 'clothes line' effect.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
That makes sense, but how about the devices that are no longer available for production quantities?

The thought is that some manufacturer contacts you to design a new product with more of a mass production plan in place. The best preamp you can come up with, using "in production" parts.

I don't know if the thought had crossed your mind John. Just a plan to start from zero, as if you had no parts on hand yet. Who knows? You may even be able to exceed the performance levels you achieved earlier.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.