John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1535 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2011, 06:33 AM   #15341
diyAudio Member

Well, now we have given people a taste of how we design audio equipment, and what we find important and interesting. It is different from just measurement, yet measurement is important, it is different from just liking something, as it may not be something 'universal' that we can apply to other audio equipment. However, it is about keeping an 'open mind' to what works, usually offering some sort of 'hypothesis' as to why we are hearing what we are hearing, in order to keep track of it for listening to something similar on other occasions.
We don't try to make a 'mystery' of it, but we don't deny what our ears hear either. AND we don't need any ABX tests to convince us of anything, one way or the other.
Old 25th August 2011, 07:37 AM   #15342
diyAudio Member

Got a few more replies on the teaser files. One member was brave enough to come out and admitted that he couldn't sort the files, but with logical reasoning came pretty close to what the processing was that was done.

For those of you that still are afraid to really trust your ears I posted another file (filename: '1000') that has the same effect but now 1000 times as strong. Don't worry, I can virtually guarantee that you can hear this one.
Found through the same link: Golden Ear Special

jan didden
Old 25th August 2011, 01:55 PM   #15343
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, no mistaking that one.
Old 25th August 2011, 02:36 PM   #15344
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
When they developed the Essex
phonostage with Dr.Bews and Dr.Mills he was able to tell the type of resistor by the character of the noise it made the moment he put the needle in the groove.
How did the resistor know the needle was put in the groove? I could care less about their credentials but once you eliminate (possibly) carbon comp and 0203 SMT I find these claims exraordinary. The surface noise is an order of magnitude or so higher especially at the low end.

I'm sure Dr. H has a fuzzy theory for this.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 25th August 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 25th August 2011, 02:56 PM   #15345
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Got a few more replies on the teaser files. One member was brave enough to come out and admitted that he couldn't sort the files, but with logical reasoning came pretty close to what the processing was that was done.
Just curious, why didn't you provide a seventh file, a known non-processed file to use as the reference?

se
Old 25th August 2011, 03:11 PM   #15346
godfrey is online now godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
How did the resistor know the needle was put in the groove? I could care less about their credentials but once you eliminate (possibly) carbon comp and 0203 SMT I find these claims exraordinary. The surface noise is an order of magnitude or so higher especially at the low end.

I think he meant that the surface noise sounded different - sort of like using pink noise as a test signal.
Old 25th August 2011, 03:16 PM   #15347
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
I think he meant that the surface noise sounded different - sort of like using pink noise as a test signal.
Yes, mechanism? Any other references? Anyone here/hear?
Old 25th August 2011, 03:32 PM   #15348
godfrey is online now godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Dunno - His claim, not mine.
I do think it could be a good test, though. With the horrible lo-fi thing I have at home, surface noise just sounds "wrong".
Old 25th August 2011, 03:44 PM   #15349
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post

Scott,

It is not the resistor noise he is referring too. It is the noise inherent in the record. That is a wideband noise source. The issue is do resistors in some way influence how that is reproduced by the following stages?

As an example consider two identical resistors but one with more lead inductance. That one will allow more HF energy into the following equipment which even if above the audio band will still cause IM distortions that can drop into the audio band.

So we are not talking about excess noise but rather the RLC variations and possible microdiodes that create bandwidth changes or other distortions.
Old 25th August 2011, 04:17 PM   #15350
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
Just curious, why didn't you provide a seventh file, a known non-processed file to use as the reference?

se
Well, you have three references! Just got word from Malcolm (he's vacationing is Europe) that the groups are three unprocessed files (the references!) - and three files that have been run through an all-pass to simulate the phase effects of a 4th order LR. Within each group the three files are absolutely identical. No cheating or traps or whatever.

Note also that strictly you don't need to identify the unprocessed ones, just identify the two groups, meaning: can you hear the phase effects of a 4th order LR. The '1000' file might give you a clue what you should search for.

But Malcolm is still holding off as to what the correct grouping is

BTW Those who have read my interview with Siegfried Linkwitz may remember that in 1974, when Siegfried was working with Laury Fincham of KEF, he did some research on the audibility of the phase effects of the just-developed LR. In fact, he used the same technique as Malcolm did - running the signal through an allpass. Siegfried at that time was able to hear the effects reliably with some special test signals but not with music.

Isn't audio wonderful??

jan didden

Hide this!Advertise here!