Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2011, 05:17 PM   #14001
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
To be honest I don't subscribe to "Belting".
But if that is what you believe in, I'm happy to respect your deeply held beliefs...[/QUOTE]

Not my deeply held belief.

I'm just wondering why it's not one of John's. It's been shown to "work" by the exact same measure other things, such as not using steel chassis have been shown to "work."

It "sounds better."

se
Old 14th July 2011, 05:23 PM   #14002
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Steve, here's your problem: you don't know the difference between the Judean Popular People's Front and the Popular Front of Judea. Easy mistake for a novice, but please don't rile up the villagers any further.
Old 14th July 2011, 05:35 PM   #14003
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Steve,

Well, if that is what you are doing, have fun.

I wonder if you could explain why reasonably well aged "generic" (e.g. what comes in the box with most cheap gear) cables do not measure like a loopback using RG-223/Mil on HD?

Ciao T
Most cheap gear does not come with RGB/YPrPb or HDMI cables. Do you mean taking the "red-white-yellow" set and using it for HD? In that case I could understand.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 14th July 2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 14th July 2011, 05:37 PM   #14004
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Scott,

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Most cheap gear does not come with RGB/YPrPb or HDMI cables. Do you mean taking the "red-white-yellow" set and using it for HD? In that case I could understand. BTW Netflix has an 11min. 24FPS HD video demo up on their instant view server, no info why.
HD = Harmonic Distortion

Ciao T
Old 14th July 2011, 05:39 PM   #14005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not sure why they should have theirs checked, it looks okay. Mine looks very similar on loop back if I use well screened cables that do not use steel center conductors.
The cables with the steel center conductors measured no differently than those with pure copper wires.

se
Old 14th July 2011, 05:43 PM   #14006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
The cables with the steel center conductors measured no differently than those with pure copper wires.

se
If you can't measure any difference that often is an indicator your test is not sensitive enough.

There are no freaking microdiode effects. I have deliberately add copper oxides to a conductor and after cooling the distortion did not change.

However there are microdiodes the Leprechauns keep them next to the pot of gold.
Old 14th July 2011, 05:51 PM   #14007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
If you can't measure any difference that often is an indicator your test is not sensitive enough.

There are no freaking microdiode effects. I have deliberately add copper oxides to a conductor and after cooling the distortion did not change.

However there are microdiodes the Leprechauns keep them next to the pot of gold.
But Ed you showed pictures of sharp discontinuities in conductivity. The VI curves you posted will rectify (if they really exist).

My misread Thorsten
Old 14th July 2011, 05:54 PM   #14008
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
after cooling the distortion did not change.
That's because your test equipment is full of cheap nasty copper, which hides the effect.
Old 14th July 2011, 05:57 PM   #14009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
But Ed you showed pictures of sharp discontinuities in conductivity. The VI curves you posted will rectify (if they really exist).

My misread Thorsten
The curves you refer too are not microdiodes. Lets be clear that diodes always conduct although it is not linear as per voltage versus current. There is another issue (dead zone) and when I get a bit more along I'll show more.

The issue of oxide's forming diodes was a specific cable test and there were no changes noted at a level at which distortion in the interconnects was noted.
Old 14th July 2011, 05:57 PM   #14010
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
That's because your test equipment is full of cheap nasty copper, which hides the effect.
Yes. Gotta get some ultra pure, single crystal, Ohno continuous cast copper wire.

Cryoed of course.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!