John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1318 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2011, 03:37 PM   #13171
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
I thought he said "really good", not "pretty good".
Never a dull moment, with Mr Hansen around.

(I can think of a dozen plus 1)
Old 30th June 2011, 03:43 PM   #13172
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Bonsai - I gather you're not one of the dozen with the magic touch.
Thankfully not..
Old 30th June 2011, 03:46 PM   #13173
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
I don't think there's anything in the layout that's an issue.
Well the main thing is that you're happy with the sound you got. I agree with Thorsten.
Old 30th June 2011, 03:49 PM   #13174
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Bonsai - I gather you're not one of the dozen with the magic touch.
You mean - Charles shared his secret list with you Scott?
Old 30th June 2011, 03:57 PM   #13175
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
You mean - Charles shared his secret list with you Scott?
Yeah, but not the secret handshake. So he won't be able to attend the meetings.

se
Old 30th June 2011, 04:00 PM   #13176
diyAudio Member

So you know about the meetings too SE?
Old 30th June 2011, 04:05 PM   #13177
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
So you know about the meetings too SE?
Yeah. But nobody believes me. All I have are some grainy black and white photos, but trust me, I was there. I saw it with my own eyes.

se
Old 30th June 2011, 04:07 PM   #13178
diyAudio Member

You saw the meeting with your own eyes, but nobody taught you the handshake? Something doesn't quite stack up here Standards must be slipping.
Old 30th June 2011, 04:18 PM   #13179
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
Torsten, given your position on distortion, RIAA equalization and a whole lot of other things, I'll also refrain from being insulting. My stuff is simple, buildable and it generally measures up well. It sounds good and I don't pad comments about my designs with loads of b.s.
Well, well.

It is competent on the basics, but with many subtle flaws in subtle areas.

Sure, it is buildable, but who wants to build it? Probably few that read or post on this thread for example.

It is also trivial to design (and even more trivial to improve upon objectively as well as subjectively).

I think one of the biggests improvements you can easily make is to replace the Op-Amp with one that uses cascoded J-Fet inputs (e.g. OPA627), seeing you use an Alps plastic track pot.

Given all the HF noise in your measurements, I'd have a look at both the layout and the powersupplies, there is room for improvement there. The 50Hz are unlikely from your testbench, but from your mains transformer.

Of course you may have fallen for the myth that cables don't matter and just measured using crappy cables which picked up all the noise that is around.

Anyway, these are very credible efforts for a beginner, as you build more you will learn more, as you learn more, you will change your designs. Maybe you will care more about HF noise and less about THD, and about interactions between base current and non-linear wiper impedance in potentiometers. Or maybe you simply will convince yourself that is all B$ and continue making stuff like this.

Ciao T
Old 30th June 2011, 04:25 PM   #13180
diyAudio Member

This sort of 'club' behavior reminds me of the AES back in the late 1970's. Walt Jung and I both attended an officers meeting where there was a lot of insider 'hanky panky'. We were annoyed, because we had been invited to came to this meeting, and we hoped to contribute, or at least learn something. Later, we both left our positions with the AES, and I politely turned down a chance to be president of the AES. What was the point?
For the record, Charles Hansen and I have never met, except at audio functions, and that is usually a polite hello. We do talk to each other by phone, especially in recent times, as Charles and I hope to keep the 'stories' about us from deviating into unfounded criticisms, which they often do, without our interjection.

Hide this!Advertise here!