John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1303 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2011, 04:07 AM   #13021
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Yes, I remember that at one time you thought about selleing the second CLT1.
Anyway, I haven't seen the schematics, but I am very impressed with a tube unit the size of a full 19 inch rack that measures 30kHz harmonics down to -150dB. I'm not sure there is any equipment on the market today that does this. Some thing of a trend; if you look at AP, the newer units have less dynamic range than the original S1 and S2.

jan didden
Except that the CLT-1 is all solid state. its full of separate circuit boards in modules. Even the meter, which has no circuitry, has a board and a module to plug into the frame. I have the schematics courtesy of the Japanese distributor and can provide them if anyone is interested. Don't even think about building one from scratch. The magnetics are the hard part. I usually get -165 to -170 dB for the 3rd harmonic. The newer CLT-10 has some changes that limit the absolute performance possibly but its faster and has all the corrections done automatically.
Old 21st June 2011, 04:20 AM   #13022
diyAudio Member

I have used Metcal's for years. I have a power meter on the one I used daily. The lower frequency version has been around for a long time. it works OK but isn't as clean as the 27 MHz versions. There is some RF leakage that clutters my bench. I have a gadget I got long ago for the Metcal that senses the tip in the holder and cycles the iron at an adjustable rate. After 10 minutes of inactivity it shuts down until you pick up the iron.

The tip uses the same Curie point sensing that the Weller does, but heats with an induction coil in the tip. That's why its so responsive. They also have quite a few specialty tips for difficult stuff. I seem to get several years of hard bench development work out of a $25 tip. But I buy on eBay, or I will have until all the readers here sucked them all up. (Thanks, Charles)
Old 21st June 2011, 04:24 AM   #13023
diyAudio Member

Demian, I am still trying to fix the power supply of the QuanTech you gave me (can't gripe too much '-) Searched high and low for a Ge T0-3 power transistor. I actually found one! We shall see tomorrow, if Brian shows up here. Just in case, do you have any available, if mine doesn't work out?
Old 21st June 2011, 05:14 AM   #13024
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Demian,
That sounds like a really cool instrument. I wouldn't mind a copy of the schematics. No, I haven't the time to build one, never mind the magnetic components issue!

Sent you a message.

Hi John,
What part number do you need? I have some NOS parts and may just have one. Delco or Jedec?

-Chris
Old 21st June 2011, 05:47 AM   #13025
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Demian, I am still trying to fix the power supply of the QuanTech you gave me (can't gripe too much '-) Searched high and low for a Ge T0-3 power transistor. I actually found one! We shall see tomorrow, if Brian shows up here. Just in case, do you have any available, if mine doesn't work out?
I have another QT IC analyzer with most of the same stuff in it. We can arrange for you to use it for board swapping if necessary. I'll review with Brian.
Old 21st June 2011, 07:58 AM   #13026
diyAudio Member

Thanks Demian, Brian and I have already checked the board parts, now it is the power transistor on the case of the meter bay. So, perhaps Brian and I will try to fix, tomorrow. You know if the transistor looks like a short, it probably is shorted! '-)
Old 21st June 2011, 08:01 AM   #13027
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> The tip uses the same Curie point sensing that the Weller does, but heats with an induction coil in the tip. That's why its so responsive.

That means the temperature is not adjustable, or how ?

Patrick
Old 21st June 2011, 08:09 AM   #13028
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
> The tip uses the same Curie point sensing that the Weller does, but heats with an induction coil in the tip. That's why its so responsive.

That means the temperature is not adjustable, or how ?

Patrick
Different tips. It can add up if you get a lot at once. I have 2 or three that see much use. It can't overheat because the inductance goes away at the target temperature.
Old 21st June 2011, 08:31 AM   #13029
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Same tip geometry but different temperatures ?
That means a lot of tips if you want a couple of tip form as well .....

Patrick
Old 21st June 2011, 08:57 AM   #13030
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Except that the CLT-1 is all solid state.[snip]
Really? Never realised that.

jan didden

Hide this!Advertise here!