John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1301 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2011, 05:11 PM   #13001
diyAudio Member

Charles is right. I wish that I could afford one.
Old 20th June 2011, 05:18 PM   #13002
diyAudio Member

Hi Thorsten,

Here is an example of what you want:

Metcal Soldering Station and Tip | eBay

It's at $255 with ten minutes to go. I'm guessing that the final price will be a bit under $350. You want one with all the stuff -- power supply, handpiece/cord, tip, rest "station" with sponge, and silicone tip-changing pad.

The only thing that is OK to miss out on is the sponge. It's nice if it comes with an assortment of tips also. You can just type "metcal" into the search and then click on the "Completed Auctions" radio button on the left side to get an idea of the current market price.

The newer model is the MX-500. The big difference with that is that it has two ports and a switch. In theory this could be slick, but in practice we have never used that feature once. So the older ones can be good, as long as you get the entire package. Buying things piecemeal is more expensive.

PS -- Once you buy it, you won't regret it. $350 is cheap for all the time it will save and all the pleasure it will give you over many years.
Old 20th June 2011, 05:24 PM   #13003
diyAudio Member

Here is a nice example of the older model:

METCAL PS2E-01 SOLDERING IRON SOLDER STATION | eBay

It will likely go for under $150. This uses the same tips as the first one I showed you. That is very important. Metcal has made some less expensive models in the past, but they use different tips which are harder to get and fewer in variety. Avoid those models.

EDIT: The auction for the first one ended at $255. That is an excellent price for that iron. Best iron in the world...
Old 20th June 2011, 05:39 PM   #13004
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnloudb View Post
Hi Simon,

I have the WES50 and it has the magnetic temperature control. I don't remember what the purpose of that is, maybe you could explain? I have noticed that when I forget to turn it off, I'll come back and find the unit off with the tip cool. I have to turn it off and back on again to get it to function.

Anyway, I've had it a long time and haven't had to replace anything and tips last forever the way I use it.

John
Curie Effect - google it. Magnetic tip holds in contact when cold. At the required temperature the magnetism flips to ~ zero and the contact opens.

That is why there is a tip for each temperature. Different alloy ??
Old 20th June 2011, 06:44 PM   #13005
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

ANTEX anyone? Standard soldering irons --- Antex

I use the same 18W for more than 25 years. 3 heating elements and 8 tips are what it has cost me.

The tips are all iron coated. They last long, they are cheap. The different size/forms work from SMD to speaker binding posts (plus the wire).

When it’s not in my hand, I hang it in vertical position. I haven’t put up a fire yet ( I keep on forgetting it plugged in for days (and weeks).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 042.jpg (379.5 KB, 282 views)
Old 20th June 2011, 06:52 PM   #13006
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
ANTEX anyone?
No thanks. Had one, went and bought a Weller Magnetostat... Actually two (by accident).

Ciao T
Old 20th June 2011, 07:05 PM   #13007
diyAudio Member

I had some pretty good luck with ANTEX when I worked in London in the 1970's. For what they are, they are a pretty good iron. Now, of course, I use a Weller M. like you do, T, and I have lots of spare tips.
Old 20th June 2011, 07:52 PM   #13008
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

No thanks. Had one, went and bought a Weller Magnetostat... Actually two (by accident).

Ciao T
It may not meet the eye, but for me, the “beauty” of the Antex is that it achieves good thermal balance without temperature sensing or switching elements. It keeps a proper tip temperature from 5 minutes after powering on, up to days. It doesn’t cool down when I solder and it doesn’t burn the solder when it is powered for long.
The solder flows - over nicely and has a shiny surface
But you may don’t fancy the yellow colour

Regards
George
Old 20th June 2011, 09:59 PM   #13009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
It is true that in short term listening comparisons, I can sometimes be fooled, but not over time. Then, the flaws become apparent, even if everything sounded just fine at first.
This is also my experience, often flaws come out after a longer listening period.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:07 PM   #13010
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
All this talk about soldering irons and nobody has mentioned the best iron in the world???

I am talking about a Metcal:
Indeed, the best soldering iron I ever lay my hands on and I used extensively Wellers and others, thermo-tip and adjustable temperature.

Hide this!Advertise here!