John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
RNMarsh said:
when a LOT of people hear the same thing
The problem is the word 'hear'. Let's assume it primarily means sensing sound with the ears, but it could conceivably include sensing sound with the skull/chest/eyes etc. It certainly should not include sensing design/designer/technology/packaging with the eyes/ears etc. Exclude the latter and some claims for the former seem to disappear.

Having said that, if something does seem to be genuinely heard then of course we should take it seriously, look for a plausible explanation and not discount it - unless the claim would require a rewrite of physics or mathematics (two sciences which seem to be much more reliable and consistent than audio engineering).

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard, who made it? MIT? I have no idea what you got a patent for in this case.
Amazing how I think I am clear and I am not --- it is a filter applied to the ac power line. The idea came from the insight to test for Z in the first place on the Tice clock. But the filter design had nothing to do with the Tice clock.... just that the Tice clock had a filtering action to it... and many other products plugged into the ac line.

In a nut shell, you have a multitude of paralleled series resonant filters across the line.... if you figure all your filters phase angles just right, they cancel. This leaves just the (esr + Ls)/n filters as the limiting R across the ac line. This works with the 100 Ohm characteristic z of the ac line to attenuate anything above 60 or what ever freq desired (120hz). Everything across the ac line is effectively shorted out
. Another view is as a trap filter. but thats needs pictures to explain. So I'll pass for now. Anything else not clear? -RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
My only point in even bringing this up at all was in support of your natural inclination to integrate listener opinion and testing. Not that I am trying to prove anything else about the end result. I can accept the concept of Translational Research coupled with Metadata and statistics using a large pool of listeners. A lot of bio research involves this approach and going from the bench to the bedside. Also, we go from the bedside to the bench. And, a lot falls by the way side in the process. but I love doing it anyway. You learn so much more in the process.

Last edited:
Richard, of course, I understand that it is an AC filter, and that it is 'broadband'. I thought that I had missed an important product in the marketplace. Why bother patenting it, IF you didn't have it made? Also, I know that you have been involved with other patented products, so I wanted to know more about this one. I am not 'challenging' you as to the validity of the patent, if that is how you perhaps took my question.

Also, Richard, I am not demanding that you give me the patent #, unless you wanted to. I always get annoyed when others on this website hassle me for that sort of info. Of course, they want it to see what I am up to, today, but I still 'work' for a living, so I don't give everything away for free, and I don't expect you to, either.

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts...

teaching is the purpose of patents - you are required to teach your innovation in exchange for a limited time right to exclusive use/control of the idea

in establishing the non-obvious, "inventive" aspect of your idea you cite prior art - adding to the depth of what can be learned by reading patents

trying to "hide" your patents percludes your enforcing them

Last edited:
In a nut shell, you have a multitude of paralleled series resonant filters across the line.... if you figure all your filters phase angles just right, they cancel. This leaves just the (esr + Ls)/n filters as the limiting R across the ac line. This works with the 100 Ohm characteristic z of the ac line to attenuate anything above 60 or what ever freq desired (120hz). Everything across the ac line is effectively shorted out

Having designed for HPNA and power line modems these characteristic impedance ideas applied to your average home power grid are pure fantacy. If they were "shorted out" none of these systems would work, and in general they do, Tice clocks notwithstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.