John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1113 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2011, 04:53 PM   #11121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
SY, I insist on .1dB response to 20K, not 100K.
What is the engineering justification for that specification? Why not .01 db or .001 db. Where does that come from?
Old 12th March 2011, 05:02 PM   #11122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundminded View Post
What is the engineering justification for that specification? Why not .01 db or .001 db. Where does that come from?
Digital RIAA can easily do .0001dB and .001 degree phase.
Old 12th March 2011, 05:18 PM   #11123
diyAudio Member

I just like the sound of .1dB. Have been doing it for 30 years. Too old to change. However, how do I get it right, everyone? I use my trusty HP3563, set it to audio sweep and note the deviations. Looks like the Rocky Mountains still!
Old 12th March 2011, 05:48 PM   #11124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Digital RIAA can easily do .0001dB and .001 degree phase.
I'm not surprised. But my question to JC is what demonstrated criteria is the specification based on. An engineer defines requirements based on some functional need. He doesn't wet his finger and stick it in the air to see which way the wind is blowing that day. So what I'd like to know is how did JC arrive at his spec? If he were to tell me that a documented study shows that 95% of people can hear a difference of +/- 0.2 db at 20khz and he wanted a 100% safety margin then I could accept that. What I can't accept is that he tells me in one breath he's an engineer and in another that he selects a performance specification that his equipment must meet out of thin air because that's what he likes or because that's "his" experience. Engineers, that is real ones have a rational reason for what they do. If they don't, then it's not engineering. It may be advertising but it's not engineering.
Old 12th March 2011, 05:50 PM   #11125
diyAudio Member

I found this :
Audio, Meet Science | Stereophile.com
Maybe John is a "Real Life Engineer".
Old 12th March 2011, 06:13 PM   #11126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I found this :
Audio, Meet Science | Stereophile.com
Maybe John is a "Real Life Engineer".
Specific tests may not be valid for a number of reasons. The science isn't sufficiently advanced to devise meaningful tests that examine salient variables. The tests fail to simulate real world conditions but are inherited from a more primitive time when they were once meaningful. There are more variables in the test procedure than it controls and one variable at a time is not being tested but multiple variables are at work simultaneously. There are others.

That tests are flawed does not negate the fact that they are the only reliable way to determine the limits of perception among those being tested. The claim of the so called subjectivists is that the process of testing itself is not valid. Nothing could be further from the truth. The problem for someone who genuinely believes he has made a discovery or devised something truly innovative is to devise a test which proves it. That is exactly the opposite of what audiophiles do. They only use tests and measurements to justify opinions when it is convenient to prove a point they arrived at irrationally and when the opposite is true, they reject the idea that tests prove anything. Now what about that blowtorch preamplifier?
Old 12th March 2011, 06:21 PM   #11127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Engineers, that is real ones have a rational reason for what they do. If they don't, then it's not engineering. It may be advertising but it's not engineering.
Let's examine that statement.

Ultimately, the end goal is to sell product and make money.

That requires marketing and advertising.

And in this market, as with many others sadly, playing the numbers game is a highly effective marketing tool.

The numbers are achieved through engineering.

Therefore, does the engineer in this case not have a rational reason for what they do?

Surely you're not arguing that the desire to make money is irrational are you?

se
Old 12th March 2011, 06:28 PM   #11128
diyAudio Member

I hate to say it guys, but the reason I use .1dB is because I can, with 1% parts and a good engineering design that optimizes the tradeoffs. That is all there is to it. The very idea that Lipshitz might think that it is important, only contributes to my effort. After all, RIAA has been essentially defined by Lipshitz and Jung. That is what I use to map to.
Old 12th March 2011, 06:47 PM   #11129
diyAudio Member

Here is evidence that at least one cutting room uses a second order rolloff on the lathe.
Combined with the infamous "Neumann Pole" the result is worse then leaving it alone.
Cut and Thrust: RIAA LP Equalization | Stereophile.com
Old 12th March 2011, 06:50 PM   #11130
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
an engineer selects a performance specification that his equipment must meet out of thin air because that's what he likes or because that's "his" experience.
In my vocabulary, that just about sums up an engineer.
While on the other hand, you seem to view an engineer and a scientist as one and the same.
Must be a language barrier thing.

Hide this!Advertise here!