John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1091 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2011, 09:01 PM   #10901
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsware View Post
Negating 'idealness' for a moment,
isn't it a fact that the mutual ' inductance '
of the coils of a transformer is the basis
of its operation ?
Yes. The key word being "mutual."

When the coupling is perfect, there is no inductance. Only the reflected impedance of the load.

se
Old 9th March 2011, 09:03 PM   #10902
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
sheesh...I wish my inductance was primary..the 5 gauss line is over 20 feet away.
You'd be well advised to keep your inductance in your pants and well away from any gauss lines.

se
Old 9th March 2011, 09:12 PM   #10903
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When I test coils around high permeability laminated cores, my HP 4284A calls eddy current losses "resistance" I use the Ls-Rs model.

So if those losses are resistive by nature, then the noise generated by the resistive losses of eddies would be a modulated noise. No signal, no noise..

Cheers, John
I don't think so

in the linear model the electrical resistive paths in the core material are always coupled by the mutual inductances - the model is continuous/distributed so a lumped circuit equivalent approximation requires many branches in a "ladder"/mesh? of partial mutual inductances and resistances

the resistances are "real" and have thermal noise which should show up as frequency dependent noise all of the time

the nonlinear core loss mechanisms may quickly dominate as signal level goes up though

Last edited by jcx; 9th March 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 9th March 2011, 11:39 PM   #10904
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You really should have asked about the Ls-Rs model, and how an HP 4284A classes eddy losses as a series resistance within the wire, in addition to the reduction of inductance caused by the eddies..

This implies that any current within the wire not only generates noise within the wire, but the slew rate of the current will cause the eddy currents to generate noise as well. A first derivative based amplitude modulation of a noise source..

I wonder how that would show up on a spectrum analyzer..

Cheers, John
As I mentioned earlier I was disagreeing with the use of the word "excess" noise because it is confusing. Active mixers for instance have modulated noise due to the fact that the operating currents in the Gilbert cell are shuffling back and forth. This signal dependent noise has been studied since at least 1962. The 1/f behavior only will show up (simulation with R, L, C) in a distributed model for the system. This is different of course from when one puts a carbon comp resistor as one leg of a bridge. There you extract the excess resistor noise from the excitation by subtraction. Walt Jung and I built a "perfect" pink noise generator based on this and now I can't find a resistor horrible enough to repeat the experiment.

Sounds like time for an experiment with an ultra-pure sine wave and a transformer. BTW I found some good papers from SLAC on magnetic shielding falling apart at nano-Tesla levels, I would love to see some science applied to this issue it is obviously not nonexistant.

EDIT - I might also disagree a little on this, yes eddy currents are a loss but it is not a given that they generate excess noise (coupled back into the system) especially in a fairly pure conductor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noii.JPG (34.0 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by scott wurcer; 9th March 2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 9th March 2011, 11:59 PM   #10905
diyAudio Member

I have to agree with jcx in this case "no signal no noise" does not really apply the noise in the system is a signal. At thermal equilibrium the eddy current losses will be accounted for, i.e. if I take a transformer and resitively terminate it at both ends the losses will show up in the resulting input/output terminal measurements.

Which is another way of saying I have not observed a transformer losing the ability to pass a low level signal even to the point of the thermal noise of its terminations.

This also brings back fond memories of the guy down under that wound 300,000 turns of wire on a bundle of rebar and measured the Schumann resonance (pico-Teslas)

Last edited by scott wurcer; 10th March 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10th March 2011, 01:52 AM   #10906
diyAudio Member

I know at least one person that has compared several Lundahl MC transformers to the Jensen. On the last High End Audio show in Utrecht Jaap of Hanze Hifi presented 6 different phonostages with different MC transformers. I will call him today and see what he has to say.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:05 AM   #10907
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I might also disagree a little on this, yes eddy currents are a loss but it is not a given that they generate excess noise (coupled back into the system) especially in a fairly pure conductor.
What then of proximity effect? In practice its just like skin effect but in a multiple layer winding such as found in transformers its a significant loss mechanism. Doesn't it contribute noise at higher frequencies by virtue of increasing the resistive losses in the wires? And if it does then its a signal dependent loss.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:37 AM   #10908
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
What then of proximity effect? In practice its just like skin effect but in a multiple layer winding such as found in transformers its a significant loss mechanism. Doesn't it contribute noise at higher frequencies by virtue of increasing the resistive losses in the wires? And if it does then its a signal dependent loss.
Not the same thing this is all covered by a multi-physics model at equilibrium. The skin effect can produce fractional f effects. They are still continuous with level, the skin effect does not "stop" below a certain level.

If I put say 100nV (or whatever) on a transformer some of the results presented say mu collapses and I get nothing out. Please present evidence of this.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:43 AM   #10909
diyAudio Member

with an ideal transformer
there is no voltage accross
the secondary without a load ?
Old 10th March 2011, 02:50 AM   #10910
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Not the same thing this is all covered by a multi-physics model at equilibrium. The skin effect can produce fractional f effects. They are still continuous with level, the skin effect does not "stop" below a certain level.
I think here we're arguing at crossed purposes. I'm not of the view there's anything discontinuous going on. Just offering support for Mr. Neutron's thesis which you seemed to be disagreeing with.

Quote:
If I put say 100nV (or whatever) on a transformer some of the results presented say mu collapses and I get nothing out. Please present evidence of this.
I'd be as skeptical as you of such 'results'

Hide this!Advertise here!