John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1081 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2011, 05:20 PM   #10801
diyAudio Member

Is everybody ready to make Werner's circuit? I think it is a GREAT example of a DIY design. I couldn't do better, myself. Then, someone out there should compare the single stage VW design that we did earlier, with this design. I think that many here would be surprised. Of course, that is only my opinion, yet this is what I do for living, and I seem to do pretty well with it.
Old 8th March 2011, 05:57 PM   #10802
работник
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Is everybody ready to make Werner's circuit? I think it is a GREAT example of a DIY design. I couldn't do better, myself. Then, someone out there should compare the single stage VW design that we did earlier, with this design. I think that many here would be surprised. Of course, that is only my opinion, yet this is what I do for living, and I seem to do pretty well with it.
I am ready. I have already been using the JFET shunt-cascode stage almost exactly as drawn here, but with the opamp stage replaced by a triode.

It is low noise, using Lyra cartridges. The gain is flexible, and can be traded for low output impedance. And - the sound is superb, notably more enjoyable than any other solution I've tried.

And yes, with the input and output both referred to ground, the EMI rejection is excellent: you can hold telecom handsets or 50Hz transformers very close before perceptible pickup.

Also, since the instantaneous AND average supply current is constant, you can feed it from a current source, shunted by a resistor, for extra supply isolation.

Not to mention that it costs pennies to make DIY, and the board can be carved out of a piece of FR4 by hand.
Old 8th March 2011, 06:05 PM   #10803
работник
diyAudio Member

O, and yes, I use the K369. They are perfectly low enough noise in my application, and you don't even need to run them at Idss to get it: a small source resistor brings them under better control.
Old 8th March 2011, 06:21 PM   #10804
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
Huh?

Kevin's selling the LL1931 and 1933 for $225.00 and $185.00 respectively.

se
Those are "each." I think John was talking about "per pair."
Old 8th March 2011, 09:08 PM   #10805
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Those are "each." I think John was talking about "per pair."
The only people crazy enough to pay that much for a single pair are the Japanese.

And what's produce have to do with transformers?

se
Old 8th March 2011, 09:52 PM   #10806
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
And what's produce have to do with transformers?
Excellent quality isn't cheap, but once one reaches a certain level, additional money is just for fashion. Hey, go for the Jensen at $500 the pair. It's gotta be 20% better than Lundahl and 40% better than Sowter!
Old 8th March 2011, 10:03 PM   #10807
diyAudio Member

Jensen is even more expensive? Good to know.
Old 8th March 2011, 10:08 PM   #10808
diyAudio Member

Let's forget transformers for the moment, everybody. It is obvious that there are no transformer experts here, and most can't tell the difference between good ones.
Let's talk about cost effective phono reproduce design, instead. Werner's basic circuit was also in the JC-80, designed about 30 years ago. Just goes to show that good designs keep their reputation, even over time. We got 'preamp of the year' in Japan. Try for that, you amateurs! '-)
Old 8th March 2011, 10:35 PM   #10809
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Let's forget transformers for the moment, everybody. It is obvious that there are no transformer experts here, and most can't tell the difference between good ones.
Let's talk about cost effective phono reproduce design, instead. Werner's basic circuit was also in the JC-80, designed about 30 years ago. Just goes to show that good designs keep their reputation, even over time. We got 'preamp of the year' in Japan. Try for that, you amateurs! '-)

YouTube - Monty Python - The man who is alternately rude and polite

Regards
George
Old 8th March 2011, 10:38 PM   #10810
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
OK, we'll continue to look at the ground and drool.

Hide this!Advertise here!