John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1037 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2011, 03:47 PM   #10361
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
An old Thorenz or something can not be compared to what is availlable now. If you never heard such a system over an extended period at home you can not judge about it.
You dissing my rig! Yes, it is not the best. Lots of room for improvement with a better cart and phono preamp. Still this Thorens was a top LP turner in the 70's. Even has a built in speed strobe which is nice feature. I still hear people comment that it compares favorably to the Linn - LP12. But, I've never compared it to anything else, in my home.

I've heard the LP12 at a shop years ago on some Wilson Watt Puppies and it was good. I like our setup better. I've also heard top LP playback on some Apogee Duets years ago at a local audiophile shop "Audition", and it was really, really nice.

I've heard lots of good analog on top gear at shows too, and we have a very nice system overall and the LP playback it very nice with good records. I mean, I don't think you got to spend $10,000+ to hear good analog. If you do, well forget it!

John
Old 2nd March 2011, 03:50 PM   #10362
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooge View Post
Not at all. Playability and responsiveness to PLAYER INPUT are large factors in choosing an instrument. Therefore, your analogy to choosing an instrument is faulty.
Isn't sound quality a major consideration here? Are Stradivarius violins chosen due to their playability and responsiveness, or due to their sound? Or should we perform blind tests on violins in order to know which one of them is a Stradivarius?
Old 2nd March 2011, 03:52 PM   #10363
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So why lump all of them together to support your logic? How many of those engineers are also hampered by bean counters and marketing departments?
I'm trying to get your point.
Do you say that listening evaluations aren't necessary for audio gear?
Old 2nd March 2011, 03:52 PM   #10364
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
Indeed.
First time we agree on something, Mr G.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, without solid lengthy exposure, a time window go-listen is futile, DBT or not.
One can stick 10 idiots into a DBT, the outcome will still be that of a bunch of fools.

Same deal as with automobiles, any step up from a sheit car will sooner feel over-expensive than obvious.
Drive a nice set of wheels for 6 months, then get ready for the shock when you get into the old piece of crab again.
Old 2nd March 2011, 03:53 PM   #10365
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm trying to get your point.
Do you say that listening evaluations aren't necessary for audio gear?
No I'm not.
Old 2nd March 2011, 03:56 PM   #10366
diyAudio Member

Joshua, that is WHY I am still in business. More than once in my engineering career, I have gotten so dependent on my measurements and topologies, that I did NOT listen to the final product. Guess what happened? Hint: twice in power amp design with Parasound. Can you guess which model numbers?
Old 2nd March 2011, 03:56 PM   #10367
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl
It is NOT distortion, it is in spite of some audible distortion. This can be proven by listening to a test record with the SAME music on both channels, BUT one side is digitized before being cut on the record.
Yeah, I agree with that. I have some classical music "Digital" records and I can't say they sound all that good, kind of sterile. The ones from the 60's and 70's often sound best.
Old 2nd March 2011, 04:03 PM   #10368
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No I'm not.
I'm glad we agree on the necessity of listening tests.
Old 2nd March 2011, 04:05 PM   #10369
diyAudio Member

Default Built To A Price....

Quote:
There may be a difference.
Some engineers are satisfied with "solid engineering practice" only, without bothering to listen to the outcome. Those engineers may miss the core issue with audio design.
99% of audio is built with exactly those outlooks and constraints - standard T&M is the accepted publishable criterium, however those figures say little about the actual listening experience.

Dave.
Old 2nd March 2011, 04:28 PM   #10370
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Ivor was a 'fool' to be 'trapped' like that in a listening test that is set up to generate 'null' results, unless one 'cheats'. Ivor has had to live that one bit of overconfidence in his own listening ability for many years.
This is WHY I do NOT do ABX tests. I can't pass them, either. Neither can John Atkinson, or just about anyone else.
Are we deaf, but arrogant? Are we 'fools' to believe in our own listening comparisons?
No, you're just human.

I know that's difficult, and in some cases impossible for some people to come to terms with. But that's nothing a small dose of humility can't cure.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!