John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1020 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2011, 02:51 AM   #10191
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
No 'sense' for you. Were you not the person complaining about high prices?
I can afford the $40, it's starting to look even better that PS was pretty hefty.
Old 27th February 2011, 06:03 AM   #10192
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Hell Boy, i'm always positive to Mr C's contributions (here).
So you'll only need a couple of suckers more.
I believe there are enough, especially if threads and/or forums are made in the amplifier section rather this one.

My 2c
Old 27th February 2011, 08:27 AM   #10193
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[snip]One thing that I find rather sad, is that my design expertise is continually challenged, even though I have been doing circuit design successfully for more than 40 years,[snip].
John, this is indeed rather sad, especially so as it is not true.
Nobody challenges your design expertise. There are posts in this thread where people express respect for your design expertise.

The REAL sad thing is that you tend to take ANY criticism as personal criticism on yourself. I really wish you could, like many of the other 'names' on this forum, reply to a material criticism with a material rebuke or agreement, whatever should be the case.

I am very sure that once you can make that step, the atmosphere here would clear up big time, personal attacks and belittlements (also by you) would go away and you would really feel at home here. No more moderation, I'm very sure of it.
Your call, John!

jan didden
Old 27th February 2011, 12:01 PM   #10194
diyAudio Member

Xtalk over? Thanks everyone. Someday I will do YOUR' inventory' and we will then have an even playing field. I regret that I cannot easily post schematics or links to technical papers here. I have relied on just typed communication, and complete explanations that way, are somewhat tedious for me and confusing for others. I still have to go through others, to post pictures, etc, and it generally isn't worth it. It takes their time, as well as mine, and it is difficult to edit for clarity. Sorry about that.
Old 27th February 2011, 12:10 PM   #10195
diyAudio Member

Scott, it is best to not start with a completely broken unit, as it can be expensive to fix.
The A23 and the HCA1000 are the lowest of the range that I would personally recommend. Everything is compromised, but very listenable, if set up properly, especially for TV sound. I use an HCA 1000 myself for my video (Comcast)sound, with four Sequerra Met 7's, 2 in front, to in A-B in the rear.
Old 27th February 2011, 12:49 PM   #10196
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One thing that I find rather sad, is that my design expertise is continually challenged, even though I have been doing circuit design successfully for more than 40 years, and many of my original design concepts are now built into many audio products, without regard to the fact that they too, were originally challenged as either too complex, expensive, or darn right confusing, 40+ years ago.
It isn't the expertise of your design I challenge, it is its significance. What I'd like to know the answers to is the answers to the same questions I use to judge my own ideas. If it is it better than alternatives then; How is it better? Why is it better? What makes it better? What makes it worth the extra cost, complexity, or trouble to make it, buy it, use it? The answer you seem to have frequently offered that a lot of people like it or that it won awards isn't good enough, at least not for me. I want to know what makes it tick. What can you tell us in concrete terms does it do better than the competition and how and why does it matter? Merely different doen't equate to better. And I want to hear it in terms acceptable to mainstream electrical engineers, not fringe fanatic audiophiles who buy tees to prop up wires on or vacuum tubes dipped in liquid nitrogen and swear that is a magic bullet that brought them nirvana. You say that you have some of the best and most sensitive test equipment in the world and know how to use it. What results does it show that back up your claims? So far all I heard was that a very expensive wire has a noise threshold of minus 135 db of the seventh harmonic of 5 kHz (which is well beyond the audio spectrum) compared to a $1 Radio Shack wire which was only minus 120 db. That report dispelled any lingering doubts I might have had about the acceptability and adequacy of the performance of Radio Shack wires in any audio system insofar as that parameter is concerned. Now what can you really tell us about your preamplifier designs that distinguish them from the competition in concrete terms that would be acceptable to electrical engineers? So far in over 1000 pages and 10,000 postings I haven't gotten even a clue about the answers. Well, at least I know that they aren't based on vacuum tubes which probably doesn't matter.
Old 27th February 2011, 12:56 PM   #10197
diyAudio Member

As the late Richard Heyser used to comment: "If it is audible to me, and someone else, it is REAL!' nuff said.
Old 27th February 2011, 02:14 PM   #10198
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundminded View Post
So far in over 1000 pages and 10,000 postings I haven't gotten even a clue about the answers.
It's over 30,000 if you count part 1.

se
Old 27th February 2011, 02:16 PM   #10199
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As the late Richard Heyser used to comment: "If it is audible to me, and someone else, it is REAL!' nuff said.
The key word being "audible."

se
Old 27th February 2011, 02:57 PM   #10200
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
a pile on ebay right now though a pair of JC1's at $2800 does not seem like a bargain.
Considering that MSRP of the JC-1 went up from $6K in '03 to $9K currently, an oldy at less than 1/3 current retail isn't that bad.

Now, overhere they did €8000 new, which went up to a 2K10 retail of €9,900.-
A Mussels from Brussels offers a grey import US/120V version pair of JC-1's at the web for $2,650.- ($1.36 on the € rate)
A JC1 monaural pair, of 8 year max age, for 20 cents on the fresh dollar sounds like a good deal.
In particular for a bloke who's able to read a service manual himself, with affordable sources for a 240Vac toroid swap. (good thing i'm into throttle KW only)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 27th February 2011 at 03:00 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!