John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Richard Bews, who serves as LFD's managing director, and the well-known audio engineer Dr. Malcolm O. Hawksford, LFD's technical director.
....It was, in fact, from one of the papers Dr. Hawksford delivered to the AES that LFD got its name: Low Fuzzy Distortion.

<punch line>
At the same time, LFD has no particular fear of op-amps, a stereo pair of which is used in the product under review: the Phonostage LE ($1295). According to Richard Bews, the NE5534 op-amp chip that provides voltage gain in the Phonostage LE was chosen specifically for its sound quality

...the LFD Phonostage is indeed as minimalist as they come: 28 resistors, 24 capacitors, 4 regulators, 2 epoxy diodes, 2 op-amp chips, and 1 transformer,

EDIT - Jezz these guys have a $10.000 1.25m interconnect, no shame.

Now waittaminute..I'm confused.

Does this mean that M. H. has financial interests that preclude any possibility of revisiting an erroneous paper?

jn

Now waittaminute..I'm confused.

Does this mean that M. H. has financial interests that preclude any possibility of revisiting an erroneous paper?

jn

At risk of the 8000 plus Pounds Sterling per meter, I guess so. I listed the pre-amp parts list just so you can see the only active device in the signal path is the old 5534. Their web site lists lots of discontinued parts whose sound "can not be duplicated" by any modern technology, what a nice objective comment.

I have just had a quick look through the fuzzy paper again. I note that even Hawksford described it as speculation. That might have helped it get past whatever peer review it faced. I note that few of his references were to the standard literature.

Interesting to note that a similar discussion is going on over there. They too have some people who say "it looks daft, but he's a prof so it must be right" and others who doubt this 'proof by guru assertion' technique.

I would love to know what Jack Bybee taught Richard Feynman about superconductivity! RF was smart even by the standards of theoretical physicists.

Last edited:
So, sometimes professors have to be put 'up-to-date' with the latest technology. Jack Bybee was 'up-to-date' at that time, working for Hughes and 'loaned out' to Cal Tech for some period of time.
For example, I had to give Dr. Meyer practical samples of extra low Rbb' parts and a 'steer' in which topology to use for best overall performance for what he wanted to do. In fact, I had to GIVE him some parts to work with, as he could not get samples (Fairchild) as easily as me.
I suspect than many here do not know the level that Jack, VDH or I work, mostly in the past, before retirement, but we are still open to new input.

I suspect than many here do not know the level that Jack, VDH or I work...

Unintentionally funny.

Unlike the scammer Bybee, your work has resulted in actually useful products that do what the companies selling them say they do. VDH completely lost any respect I had for him when he started peddling quack medical gadgets- that is despicable, truly evil.

I suspect than many here do not know the level that Jack, VDH or I work, mostly in the past, before retirement, but we are still open to new input.

I've read older scientists, Einstein comes immediately to mind, say that they can now spend their time on less likely, more speculative, less popular subjects. They no longer have to plug into the academic blood plasma extractor.

Thanks for everything, as always,
Chris

Chris, you are right about 'more speculative'. Jack Bybee is 13 years older than me, AND he was completely retired when he decided to take a chance on something he had developed decades before, for audio reproduction, something that he loved to do. Jack is independently wealthy from past investments and selling a successful 'auto chip' upgrade company that he owned for at least a decade. He just wanted 'something to do' and he thought that these 'quantum purifiers' could be useful to the audiophile, even the 'rejects' and even working at room temperature. He trusted his and his audiophile friends opinions that they REALLY did improve the sound quality. So he went into business. He has never made any real money from this business, any more than I have made (percentage wise) from Vendetta upgrades, but he has done it for the last 16 years or so, because it keeps him busy. Actually, he would really prefer LESS interest, because it takes time and energy that he does not have in excess, anymore, to fill the orders that he gets from across the world, as people try his stuff.
SY could have met Jack Bybee, when he lived in the SFB area, but he declined to do so.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmm, I dropped in at SY's house yesterday and he offered up some of his recordings...in 24/96!!! But they weren't 15 minutes long..more like 3 to 5! But VERY life-like! ;)

I'm gobsmacked too! I bought the LFD phone pre about 10 to 15 years ago from the local Austin hi-end shop for just over a grand. I was always curious who was behind the name because they seemed so anonymous. I did pop the box open and I recall that I did see some op amps, caps, resistors, and a basic transformer and that was about it.

I had a question about the product and Richard Bews responded to my email inquiry. Thanks, Scott. Now I know who is behind LFD. Even their website is light on info.

Status
Not open for further replies.