Petp Capacitors-one Of The Best? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2009, 12:33 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Analog Sa

yes I discovered that they could be had for a tenth of the price in the version you mention from Digikey i believe.

Out of interest what have you moved onto resistor wise,perhaps there are gems that i have yet to discover???
Old 27th June 2009, 12:44 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Polyethylene terephthalate is polyester -- it's what you get when you mix ethylene glycol with terephthalic acid or dimethyl terepthalate.
Old 27th June 2009, 12:57 PM   #23
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Exactly. Mylar is a brand name, but this is (material wise) the same thing.

Quote:
What has distortion got to do with what in my mind is perceived as realistic tonal colours to the sounds of voices and instruments????
You said that it added things. That's distortion.
Old 27th June 2009, 01:04 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

yes sorry

no I meant the Kiwame was 'adding' good things that was correct compared with a lot of other components that do not have the capability to bring these additions into the equation and are hence less realistic sounding to my ears.

It was comparative speech, not accurate, i know
Old 27th June 2009, 01:46 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Bob Pease's article on "Capacitor Soakage" is probably (still) on National Semi's website -- good for insights on what makes a capacitor sing. I think his points were more in reference to difficulty with sample-hold and timing circuits.

Cyril Bateman's articles in EW, I think it was a 7-part series, did a lot in terms of quantifying capacitor distortion, although I don't recall if he examined the sonics at all.

My 2-cents -- the little Wima MK2SL caps -- if you have to use a cap -- are pretty nice sounding in low voltage applications -- and the form factor can't be beat.
Old 27th June 2009, 05:59 PM   #26
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

My 1 cent opinion: the discussion was about the PETP capacitors, not the sound of the resistences...
Old 27th June 2009, 07:58 PM   #27
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, and if anyone is interested in the Russian versions that are paper and PETP (like Sprague Hyrel Q), I have plenty I would like to sell. They have an interesting winding geometry that I believe lowers inductance, but I'm not sure. If I remember correctly the are film and foil and are physically larger than most caps of similar value. I make no claims as to what they might sound like.

John
Old 27th June 2009, 09:04 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Of course this whole thread now brings to mind if it should have been retitled

"PETP K-73 Military capacitors-ONE OF THE BEST??"

As of the present time there is no way of confirming genuinely what the K73's are made of inside those ruggedly constructed ?hard metallic outer casings, nor have various other manufacturers PETP caps been compared to them.

So this thread is exclusively dedicated to the K73's from my perspective in terms of sound quality.
Old 27th June 2009, 09:20 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

someone might correct me on this but the K75's are a mixture of PETP and ??paper/oil.

Their sound in general in the circuits that i have used them in is extremely even handed from top to bottom (almost 'invisible' frequency wise)but without the vitality (micro and macro dynamics)and top end air/transparency brought in by the F73's.
Old 27th June 2009, 09:23 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

If anyone is interested you can see me in actual 'action' for better or for worse, tinkering with caps to my hearts delight, on a valve amplifier, on this thread

Jadis DA7/defy power amplifier mods

Hide this!Advertise here!