Petp Capacitors-one Of The Best? - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2013, 06:35 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Do not ever use metallized foil caps.
Old 26th July 2013, 03:45 AM   #122
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
petp for high quality sound?, i wouldnt listen to them with your ears. i've only ever used them to any effect in switching power supply sections as they are cheap, i will never use them in signal path again, i found thev to be awfully gaussian in the upper mids and reading the beginning of the thread where you rated these highly, but BG was placed above polypropelene film and metal foil and teflon film and foil types sealed the deal, i wont try these ones either.
Actually I totally agree with Qusp on this one. I also find them dark and un-revealing... I had to add a bypass cap just to get something acceptable from them...

Do they reveal themselves after many hours and if so, how many hours of burn in is required?

Do

Last edited by pinnocchio; 26th July 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 26th July 2013, 04:11 AM   #123
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

I'm giving my preamp a burn in with those caps using a FM tuner on white noise... Let's see in 48 hours what they give me... So far I've heard way better caps...

Do
Old 27th July 2013, 02:21 AM   #124
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Well I actually gave it some time to burn in with a MKP1837 bypass cap. Tried my preamp on the Fetzilla where it sounded dark and lacking details and same results if only a minor improvement and then another amplifier, my ML-2 Clone where it sounded really good! Could it have been a impedance match issue?

Ciao!
Do
Old 29th July 2013, 09:55 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

pinnocchio,
I don't think impedance mismatching is the problem. It never fails to make me laugh at how hide bound the whole audio business is compared to computers, where they are always pushing the boundaries.

There simply is'nt enough research done and when it is, it is always done with heads stuck in the past. Fans don't have to be noisy, chassis don't have to be rectangular boxes that do nothing to dissipate heat but still the industry uses them - the inertia effect.

According to some, in theory these caps should be crap - in reality look at those on this thread who have actually used them - and rock on them.

No one in their right mind would eat raw onion accompanied by wine - somethings go together and others don't.

These caps sounded crap in one piece of equipment but not in another, it would be interesting for you to describe what the difference in components is between the two amps - after all this was the same cap you used.
Old 29th July 2013, 03:16 PM   #126
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
pinnocchio,
I don't think impedance mismatching is the problem. It never fails to make me laugh at how hide bound the whole audio business is compared to computers, where they are always pushing the boundaries.

There simply is'nt enough research done and when it is, it is always done with heads stuck in the past. Fans don't have to be noisy, chassis don't have to be rectangular boxes that do nothing to dissipate heat but still the industry uses them - the inertia effect.

According to some, in theory these caps should be crap - in reality look at those on this thread who have actually used them - and rock on them.

No one in their right mind would eat raw onion accompanied by wine - somethings go together and others don't.

These caps sounded crap in one piece of equipment but not in another, it would be interesting for you to describe what the difference in components is between the two amps - after all this was the same cap you used.
Yeah... Really can't explain this but the caps have had over 40 hours of burn in now and they're still in my JC-2 Clone preamp (The preamp I use on different amplifiers).

So, JC-2 Clone with those caps on FetZilla = not good but on ML-2 Clone and My_Ref FE it is really good... Maybe my JC-2 clone is just not a good match with the FetZilla... I used same cables and speakers for the tests.

Trust me, I'm not one to make myself believe I heard something different if it's not there. I will do more testing... and probably with different caps as well.

Thanks
Do

Last edited by pinnocchio; 29th July 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 13th April 2014, 01:38 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

It's hilarious when people pass judgment on something they haven't heard or investigated. It's possible that the capacitor in question uses something other than PETP. The Russians have always been rather loose with their quality control, and that extends to materials. When capacitors are specified, the important part is breakdown voltage, ESR, heat rating, size, resistance to humidity, resistance to shock, resistance to actual physical abuse, power factor, inductance, frequency response, temperature drift, and in special cases, distortion. It doesn't matter what it says on the package. If you take it at face value, you are a sucker.

So....I guess none of you nay-sayers ordered them, measured them with a distortion analyzer versus a known polyester cap, then tore them down for analysis at a lab? If not, you are parrots, repeating audio jargon. In my experience, with huge speakers that are somewhat bright, these Russian capacitors are physically better damped, across the board, than the metallized products. There are other reasons a film and foil will sound better, but people tend to downplay the way capacitors "sing along", and convert external vibration into signals. The biggest shock I ever had in audio, other than getting bitten by a tube power supply, was hearing my fingernail rub across a metallized cap in a phono stage. Crazy. It was loud too. There's no way that it wasn't contributing to the sound of the phono stage.
Old 13th April 2014, 03:00 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbirdaudio View Post
The biggest shock I ever had in audio, other than getting bitten by a tube power supply, was hearing my fingernail rub across a metallized cap in a phono stage.
Most people would have learnt to keep their fingers out the first time

Interesting observation though, i have read that caps resonate to the signal but never thought it would work the other way around.
Old 13th April 2014, 06:56 AM   #129
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbirdaudio View Post
There are other reasons a film and foil will sound better, but people tend to downplay the way capacitors "sing along", and convert external vibration into signals. The biggest shock I ever had in audio, other than getting bitten by a tube power supply, was hearing my fingernail rub across a metallized cap in a phono stage. Crazy. It was loud too. There's no way that it wasn't contributing to the sound of the phono stage.
I just tried this with my phono stage. Dead silent. Ah well, maybe it's because I used Wima metallized caps instead of some "audiophile" brand. Or that I avoided combinations of materials (like silver and PTFE) that are susceptible to triboelectric noise.
Old 8th May 2014, 09:34 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Default microphonics

It's the "audiophile" capacitors I'm referring to. I assume (but who knows) it is the tension on the film. I do know that wrapping the film tighter increases capacitance but lowers the voltage withstand. I don't know how it would affect microphonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I just tried this with my phono stage. Dead silent. Ah well, maybe it's because I used Wima metallized caps instead of some "audiophile" brand. Or that I avoided combinations of materials (like silver and PTFE) that are susceptible to triboelectric noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!