Petp Capacitors-one Of The Best? - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2013, 06:35 PM   #121
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Do not ever use metallized foil caps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 03:45 AM   #122
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member
 
pinnocchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
petp for high quality sound?, i wouldnt listen to them with your ears. i've only ever used them to any effect in switching power supply sections as they are cheap, i will never use them in signal path again, i found thev to be awfully gaussian in the upper mids and reading the beginning of the thread where you rated these highly, but BG was placed above polypropelene film and metal foil and teflon film and foil types sealed the deal, i wont try these ones either.
Actually I totally agree with Qusp on this one. I also find them dark and un-revealing... I had to add a bypass cap just to get something acceptable from them...

Do they reveal themselves after many hours and if so, how many hours of burn in is required?

Do
__________________
PREAMPs : AMB α10 + JC-80 clone | Balanced DCB1 | LDR3x | AMPs: AMB β24 | Aleph 5 | VSSA | ML-2 | Fetzilla | Telos 390 Clone | My_Ref FE
DACs : TPA Buffalo II + OPC's NTD1 I/V | TPA OPUS + IVY III Speakers : Jim Holtz Statements | Astasia SD | Tubasson Mark 2

Last edited by pinnocchio; 26th July 2013 at 03:47 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 04:11 AM   #123
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member
 
pinnocchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
I'm giving my preamp a burn in with those caps using a FM tuner on white noise... Let's see in 48 hours what they give me... So far I've heard way better caps...

Do
__________________
PREAMPs : AMB α10 + JC-80 clone | Balanced DCB1 | LDR3x | AMPs: AMB β24 | Aleph 5 | VSSA | ML-2 | Fetzilla | Telos 390 Clone | My_Ref FE
DACs : TPA Buffalo II + OPC's NTD1 I/V | TPA OPUS + IVY III Speakers : Jim Holtz Statements | Astasia SD | Tubasson Mark 2
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 02:21 AM   #124
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member
 
pinnocchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Well I actually gave it some time to burn in with a MKP1837 bypass cap. Tried my preamp on the Fetzilla where it sounded dark and lacking details and same results if only a minor improvement and then another amplifier, my ML-2 Clone where it sounded really good! Could it have been a impedance match issue?

Ciao!
Do
__________________
PREAMPs : AMB α10 + JC-80 clone | Balanced DCB1 | LDR3x | AMPs: AMB β24 | Aleph 5 | VSSA | ML-2 | Fetzilla | Telos 390 Clone | My_Ref FE
DACs : TPA Buffalo II + OPC's NTD1 I/V | TPA OPUS + IVY III Speakers : Jim Holtz Statements | Astasia SD | Tubasson Mark 2
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 09:55 AM   #125
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Aveyron
pinnocchio,
I don't think impedance mismatching is the problem. It never fails to make me laugh at how hide bound the whole audio business is compared to computers, where they are always pushing the boundaries.

There simply is'nt enough research done and when it is, it is always done with heads stuck in the past. Fans don't have to be noisy, chassis don't have to be rectangular boxes that do nothing to dissipate heat but still the industry uses them - the inertia effect.

According to some, in theory these caps should be crap - in reality look at those on this thread who have actually used them - and rock on them.

No one in their right mind would eat raw onion accompanied by wine - somethings go together and others don't.

These caps sounded crap in one piece of equipment but not in another, it would be interesting for you to describe what the difference in components is between the two amps - after all this was the same cap you used.
__________________
Black Stuart
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 03:16 PM   #126
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member
 
pinnocchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
pinnocchio,
I don't think impedance mismatching is the problem. It never fails to make me laugh at how hide bound the whole audio business is compared to computers, where they are always pushing the boundaries.

There simply is'nt enough research done and when it is, it is always done with heads stuck in the past. Fans don't have to be noisy, chassis don't have to be rectangular boxes that do nothing to dissipate heat but still the industry uses them - the inertia effect.

According to some, in theory these caps should be crap - in reality look at those on this thread who have actually used them - and rock on them.

No one in their right mind would eat raw onion accompanied by wine - somethings go together and others don't.

These caps sounded crap in one piece of equipment but not in another, it would be interesting for you to describe what the difference in components is between the two amps - after all this was the same cap you used.
Yeah... Really can't explain this but the caps have had over 40 hours of burn in now and they're still in my JC-2 Clone preamp (The preamp I use on different amplifiers).

So, JC-2 Clone with those caps on FetZilla = not good but on ML-2 Clone and My_Ref FE it is really good... Maybe my JC-2 clone is just not a good match with the FetZilla... I used same cables and speakers for the tests.

Trust me, I'm not one to make myself believe I heard something different if it's not there. I will do more testing... and probably with different caps as well.

Thanks
Do
__________________
PREAMPs : AMB α10 + JC-80 clone | Balanced DCB1 | LDR3x | AMPs: AMB β24 | Aleph 5 | VSSA | ML-2 | Fetzilla | Telos 390 Clone | My_Ref FE
DACs : TPA Buffalo II + OPC's NTD1 I/V | TPA OPUS + IVY III Speakers : Jim Holtz Statements | Astasia SD | Tubasson Mark 2

Last edited by pinnocchio; 29th July 2013 at 03:19 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 01:38 AM   #127
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
It's hilarious when people pass judgment on something they haven't heard or investigated. It's possible that the capacitor in question uses something other than PETP. The Russians have always been rather loose with their quality control, and that extends to materials. When capacitors are specified, the important part is breakdown voltage, ESR, heat rating, size, resistance to humidity, resistance to shock, resistance to actual physical abuse, power factor, inductance, frequency response, temperature drift, and in special cases, distortion. It doesn't matter what it says on the package. If you take it at face value, you are a sucker.

So....I guess none of you nay-sayers ordered them, measured them with a distortion analyzer versus a known polyester cap, then tore them down for analysis at a lab? If not, you are parrots, repeating audio jargon. In my experience, with huge speakers that are somewhat bright, these Russian capacitors are physically better damped, across the board, than the metallized products. There are other reasons a film and foil will sound better, but people tend to downplay the way capacitors "sing along", and convert external vibration into signals. The biggest shock I ever had in audio, other than getting bitten by a tube power supply, was hearing my fingernail rub across a metallized cap in a phono stage. Crazy. It was loud too. There's no way that it wasn't contributing to the sound of the phono stage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 03:00 AM   #128
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbirdaudio View Post
The biggest shock I ever had in audio, other than getting bitten by a tube power supply, was hearing my fingernail rub across a metallized cap in a phono stage.
Most people would have learnt to keep their fingers out the first time

Interesting observation though, i have read that caps resonate to the signal but never thought it would work the other way around.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 06:56 AM   #129
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbirdaudio View Post
There are other reasons a film and foil will sound better, but people tend to downplay the way capacitors "sing along", and convert external vibration into signals. The biggest shock I ever had in audio, other than getting bitten by a tube power supply, was hearing my fingernail rub across a metallized cap in a phono stage. Crazy. It was loud too. There's no way that it wasn't contributing to the sound of the phono stage.
I just tried this with my phono stage. Dead silent. Ah well, maybe it's because I used Wima metallized caps instead of some "audiophile" brand. Or that I avoided combinations of materials (like silver and PTFE) that are susceptible to triboelectric noise.
__________________
You might be screaming "No, no, no" and all they hear is "Who wants cake?" Let me tell you something: They all do. They all want cake.- Wilford Brimley
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 09:34 PM   #130
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default microphonics

It's the "audiophile" capacitors I'm referring to. I assume (but who knows) it is the tension on the film. I do know that wrapping the film tighter increases capacitance but lowers the voltage withstand. I don't know how it would affect microphonics.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I just tried this with my phono stage. Dead silent. Ah well, maybe it's because I used Wima metallized caps instead of some "audiophile" brand. Or that I avoided combinations of materials (like silver and PTFE) that are susceptible to triboelectric noise.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
capacitors reddish75 Solid State 4 19th May 2008 10:16 AM
what is the difference between silver mica capacitors and ceramic capacitors ?? prorms Solid State 1 6th May 2008 12:38 PM
Continental Capacitors' "Type-A" oil-filled capacitors? radical Parts 0 21st October 2004 08:39 PM
capacitors: panasonic FC vs elna RJH vs rubycon ZA capacitors costiss Parts 11 30th January 2003 09:32 PM
differences between computer grade capacitors and small can capacitors LBHajdu Pass Labs 0 22nd February 2002 01:29 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2