Grumpy Old Men - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2009, 01:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Angry Grumpy Old Men

Since I have joined this forum i am constantly met with unhelpful, rude remarks to my posts. I get the feeling these are probably men in their middle years with a lot of experience in electronics but may be more limited in their hearing skills. I am generalising. I have had to use the moderator twice already in my favour. What is it with a lot of you guys??? Jealousy that someone with nothing more than a physics exam pass as an adolescent is even able to come up with a plausible idea??? Boredom??Arrogance and being full of oneself.

Let the beginner enjoy and learn - dont beat them down with a stick!

I have contributed quite a few interesting ideas already if you check my threads started. Perhaps i should keep them to myself from now on.

Luke
Old 14th April 2009, 02:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hey, I'm grumpy and old, but I try to help!
Old 14th April 2009, 02:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

sorry

should have added 'probably grumpy and old but maybe young and maybe not grumpy at all but definately dont want to help!

Great....the title has grabbed someones attention
Old 15th April 2009, 06:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It comes and goes in waves....

It's not near as bad as it was a couple years back.

The "Sin Bin" and "Texas" activity is usually a good indicator

Cheers!
Old 15th April 2009, 06:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I had noticed it was getting easier to get the moderator to control things if they were getting out of hand.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

part of the problem i believe is due to those that believe in measurements and scientific fact and those that believe in the black art.

The latter including myself often have very revealing high end systems which are very sensitive to tiny changes in sound like e.g adding a coin on top of a speaker!! I am assuming part of this is also due to training of the ear to such changes with audio memory, hearing sensitivity etc etc all playing their part. I am fully aware of how subjective this can be but going back and forth should help prove that a change is a change in sound. Unfortunately some find it very hard indeed to believe this. I doubt double blind trials would change their mind either.

The only way we can ever reconcile our differences is to be able to meet up in our homes with our equipment and listen over a nice cup of tea and a bic. Our mind sets and ideas can then be judged properly. But more often than not we are continents apart, so this will never happen.
Old 15th April 2009, 09:49 PM   #7
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Well I believe in the Black Arts approach....but not to the extent of believing that they are just that. Measurement can be very useful in finding the source of a fault identified by the ears and obviously is essential for those who rely on decimal points of decibels....also for equipment makers whose advertising is a bragging statement based on measurement....and often means that the equipment sounds awful but that the spec. IS spectacular.

Measurement is also very useful for checking voltages and current just before you connect up a just built power supply to a new SET amp!!!

I am now both old and grumpy...but I don't get involved in these arguments as I know that they are not winnable! Oh yes! I have now lost a lot of higher level hearing as well. Hence the recent decision to go "open baffle Saba."

I am so grumpy that I no longer believe anyone other than a very small band of people whose basis of judgment is trusted. Having been very close to the design process I have seen it from both sides. An acknowledged artist many years ago told me that his rather free expression and impressionistic approach could never have evolved unless he had first learnt to draw properly and how to use colour! My audio designer friend, although he never used a simulator, calculator and seldom pencil and paper was able to apparently design in his head. In fact he was a brilliant mathematician with a very complete knowledge of both the electronic theory involved and the components used.

Since those days if anyone starts on about measurements I go off by myself.... fly fishing!!
Old 15th April 2009, 10:16 PM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I'm grumpiest old ( ok , not SO old ) fart on DiyA ......

and I also love Saba .......
Old 15th April 2009, 10:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

ok i am intrigued. You may have seen my last thread on open baffles.

If its not some hidden joke link please for the SABA
Old 15th April 2009, 11:00 PM   #10
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Default Absolutely for real!!!

I have two just arrived from a German eBAy seller. They are dusty but almost mint Greencones with tweeters. I am looking for a pair of Altec 416 8 ohm drivers or, better, Tesla similar. Then my Impulse H2 horns can go elsewhere; nice though they may be.

Audiojoy:

Noticing that you are a Medic I have to say that as I come originally from the land of the little folk. Healers of every unqualified hue...including orange...abound there. As a child I was cured of a nasty ringworm caught from the cattle by an old woman who gathered some twigs and said a prayer to some ancient deity, whereas my very Scottish doctor certainly does believe in measurement!!!! He took an arm-full of blood a couple of weeks ago and tells me that I go back on Statins, that I am suffering from sugar intolerence... but don't have diabetes yet. My ESR is normal. I don't have prostate cancer. I may have heliobactor (very common in the irish). My lungs are congested as I smoke too much...........He could not have told me much of this by putting a penny on my body and listening! (Excepting the smoking bit.)

Chokey...glad you are well. I am now 67 (last Sunday) and feeling very proud of the fact! I have some very interesting 2 track Masters (studio insurance copies) and will mail you the info...they are on the sandpaper yellow BSAF tape with a very tilted response!! The artist is still very popular in your part of the world!! Maybe we can do a deal!

Hide this!Advertise here!