Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2003, 08:53 PM   #31
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/download.html
Old 13th April 2003, 05:17 PM   #32
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Talking How it works

Hi Jean-Paul,
Now I see how it works.
I downloaded and installed "the Bat!"
Next day I received a spam about "forget aging and dieting forever".
looked into the header of the email and what do I see X-mailer= the Bat! (v1.52f) Business.
Very funny! The anti-spam emailprogram sends spam itself!
The mailwasher does work though.
Thanks a lot!
Old 13th April 2003, 07:06 PM   #33
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I noticed this too and I am not amused as this program was advised by a computer magazine as a good, safe and free mailclient some time ago.

Sorry for that, I didn't know this because I only recently installed the new version. In my memory the older versions did not have this "feature".

Pegasus is a known good and proven free mailclient but it has no bouncing tools so it doesn't bring real improvements. Tried several mailprograms in the past whose names I don't even remember. After having cable internet installed 2 years ago the technician installed Outlook Express to my disgust but as time flew by I started to learn why everybody appreciates it so much.

Outlook Express's interface is just good and all necessary functions are there except for bouncing. Have to admit that my experiments with other programs have stopped since then. Pegasus was my favorite before that. Maybe Mozilla's mailprogram is OK nowadays ? I know Mozilla very well ( why does IE6 not have tabbed browsing ? ) but as I said before the Outlook Express virus has got hold of me and I skipped the mailprogram.

Switching to another program is hard as you get accustomed to OE but as an open-source and alternative OSes fan I keep having a strange feeling about this. Never will forget BeOS with it's mailclient

Please try it once: www.mozilla.org You'll like tabbed browsing and Mozilla's anti pop up screen facilities !!!! Please report your results when you take the challenge.

I wish that there would be a combination of a browser + mailclient and anti spam/ bouncing facilities

So I continue using Mailwasher in combination with Outlook Express like you do. Browsing is done with Mozilla and sometimes Opera. On my Mac I like Safari.
Old 13th April 2003, 10:33 PM   #34
diyAudio Senior Member

Default BOUNCED...

Hi,

Quote:
Outlook Express's interface is just good and all necessary functions are there except for bouncing.
J-P,

Yes there is a way although not a very effective one:

Select the spam message, than go to the menubar and select "Message", you'll see "Block sender" in the list.

Naturally it's no good when the same spam is sent from a hundred different sender but it's a start.

The sender will get the impression the message bounced for whatever reason and stop sending it (or not) , either way it won't make it to your inbox.

If you have multiple e-mail accounts, as I do, it may be a little more laborious but it worked for me so far and it doesn't cost you a dime.

In case you use an Hotmail account and read your messages in OE, than the only way to configure it is through the online/internet interface itself.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!