Big problem with hacker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2003, 07:30 PM   #1
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Big problem with hacker

About a year ago i went onto a chat room,and some moron in there was pretending to be a girl,so i gave the person my e-mail adress,stupidly.The next time i went on there the same person said he was a man,which is sick to confuse me like that.
Then after i insulted him for saying such dirty stuff,then tricking me,he started sending me racist threatening e-mails and kept interfering with my internet connection,by randomly disconnecting me.

I went out and bought ZONE ALARM PRO,which hasn't done nothing,it's useless,i still get the racist e-mails and get disconnected from the net most of the time.

I also had a new hard drive and modem installed,because the hacker damaged the old ones with many virus's and trojans.

But still,nothing has improved,i've phone the Police,but they can't help me out,unless i'm a big company.

So does anyone know how to get rid,or at least block this creten from hacking and abusing me with threats and racist e-mails,as well as interfering with my connection.

My service provider is Freeserve,and i've got a 56k modem.

So if anyone knows of a better firewire than Zone Alarm Pro,i would be gratefull.
Old 1st April 2003, 07:33 PM   #2
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Zone Alarm is one of the best software firewalls available.
Old 1st April 2003, 07:42 PM   #3
mik is offline mik
diyAudio Member

I think you can do at least two things(or three)
first check this link http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htmsecond is to change your provider and and last is to change your e-mail adress.
Old 1st April 2003, 08:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Have you reported the incidents to your ISP? They should be very proactive in helping you with this issue. If they are not, then its time to find a better ISP.
Old 1st April 2003, 08:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I also had a new hard drive and modem installed,because the hacker damaged the old ones with many virus's and trojans.
This is the first time I hear a hacker destroying hardware.

Everytime you login with a dailup connection (modem) you get a new ip adres, so how does this hacker know you are online and which ip adress you have ?

I suggest to format you harddrive and do a fresh install of windows and zonealarm. Never open attachments in your email from people you don't know. Don't install all kinds of software that contain spyware, kazaa for example. Your ISP can findout who is sending you this emails.
Old 1st April 2003, 08:51 PM   #6
cyr is offline cyr  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Big problem with hacker

Are you serious, or is this some rather strange april fools joke?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bull
[B]About a year ago i went onto a chat room,and some moron in there was pretending to be a girl,so i gave the person my e-mail adress,stupidly.The next time i went on there the same person said he was a man,which is sick to confuse me like that.
Then after i insulted him for saying such dirty stuff,then tricking me,he started sending me racist threatening e-mails and kept interfering with my internet connection,by randomly disconnecting me.
The only possible way he could disconnect you would be if he had somehow gotten a trojan installed on your machine.... not impossible I guess. Did he send you any strange email attachments? Do you use MS outlook?

Quote:

I went out and bought ZONE ALARM PRO,which hasn't done nothing,it's useless,i still get the racist e-mails and get disconnected from the net most of the time.
Of course a firewall won't stop someone sending you unwanted email... (If it did I wouldn't have to delete 100 spam mails every day.)

It will stop people connecting to your machine, taking advantage of security problems in your software or installed trojans.

Are you sure you don't just have a crappy ISP that disconnects you?

Quote:

You mean he somehow physically damaged your hard drive and modem??? How?

Reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling your OS would get rid of any viruses and trojans...

Quote:

But still,nothing has improved,i've phone the Police,but they can't help me out,unless i'm a big company.
If you now have a brand new OS installation, with a firewall, on a new harddisk then I think you can be pretty sure your problems are not caused by a 'hacker'.

Do you have any real reason to believe he is responsible?

Quote:

So does anyone know how to get rid,or at least block this creten from hacking and abusing me with threats and racist e-mails,as well as interfering with my connection.
A properly installed firewall will block him. Also install any security updates for your OS, browser, email software... And a good antivirus software.

If this person uses his real email adress when sending you mail, just dont read his mail (or configure your email software to automatically delete or ignore them, if it has such a function).

If he uses a real email adress, complain to his email provider/ISP. Usually you can reach them at abuse@hisdomain

Switch to another ISP (at least temporarily) and see if the random disconnections go away.
Old 1st April 2003, 09:50 PM   #7
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

Your best bet against trojans and viruses is a scan utility from McAffe or Semantic(Norton Utilities). These can be set up (usually default) to scan any emails and their enclosures for known viruses and trojans before you open them. Unless this nut is a master hacker, he won't have anything to get past these. These programs are fairly cheap for what they do. Firewalls limit what comes through in a general sense and more designed for internet data transfer than email use. Size, origin and destinations are their general definitions. There are, of course, more involved but these are what are primarily considered. What is allowed through is usually untouched and left to the background virus scan software. A firewall like Zone Alarm Pro will also allow your IP to remain hidden from detection and essentially only visable during the time of actual upload/download. One the most used email "weapons" is innundation, sending so many large emails your inbox or data limitation is quickly used and the free provider cuts you off. The built-in firewalls are useful if you take the time to list the unwanted addresses on the block list. Many free providers offer virus scans in their paid upgrades and these are routinely updated.
Old 1st April 2003, 09:53 PM   #8
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Default Re: Re: Big problem with hacker

Quote:
Originally posted by cyr
The only possible way he could disconnect you would be if he had somehow gotten a trojan installed on your machine.... not impossible I guess.

Well a decent hacker can disconnect you simply by sending your computer a special data packet. I seriously doubt that a software firewall will have any defence if that is the case. As for how the hacker knows your IP address each time you log on, a trojan would certainly be the most likely explanation.
Old 1st April 2003, 10:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Default HACKS.

Hi,

Quote:
Well a decent hacker can disconnect you simply by sending your computer a special data packet
Not with a half decent firewall it wouldn't.

Quote:
As for how the hacker knows your IP address each time you log on, a trojan would certainly be the most likely explanation.
Correct, but it isn't a cookie sending the information but some Javascript.
Usually a file with the *.asp extension.(Active Server page)

A decent anti-virus program + a decent firewall should detect this activity though.

Cleaning out and I mean literally and manually deleting all "Temporary internet files" may cure it.

Cheers,
Old 1st April 2003, 10:06 PM   #10
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

I doubt that a software firewall will really protect from a poorly formed tcp packet. I never said anything about the trojan using a cookie, there are more types of trojans then I could care to poke a stick at and there is a number of ways they could be getting the information from your computer to an interested party.

Hide this!Advertise here!