historic small arms collecting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rather than threadjack a thread on amplifier repair, i'll start this thread. this came about, believe it or not from a discussion about corrosive goop left on a circuit board after caps leaked on it. i mentioned something about the neutralization of corrosive salts in a rifle barrel, and got this close (|...|) to threadjacking......

ok, i'll start of with one of my wife's jokes:
you can tell you're a redneck if...
your wife tells you it's time to buy a new gun safe because the 3 that you already have are so full you can't close them.

i collect military small arms primarily from WWI and WWII. of course in this country i can't own full auto specimens without special licensing, so i have to settle for semiauto versions of them.....

my collection is more geared towards the standard infantry individual issue arms anyway, and not arms issued at the squad or platoon level.

my interest in them is for not only historical value, but the interesting quirks of their mechanical design as well.

i'm leaving for work right now, so i'll finish this introduction later........

i had a fairly filled out collection before i had my house foreclosed on and had to sell a few to pay a down payment on an apartment and moving costs...

what i've got left is in storage right now.

2 WWII vintage 8mm Mausers
1 Israeli Mauser in 7.62 NATO (which was a Mauser carbine made during WWII but converted to 7.62 NATO by the IDF) (S)
1 pre-WWI vintage Mauser in 8mm

1 Arisaka "last ditch" rifle Japanese WWII vintage

1 M1 Garand 30-06, serial number is 4th QTR 1943 production Springfield
1 M1 Carbine not WWII vintage. (S)

1 M38/44 Mosin-Nagant russian carbine 1944 production
1 SVT russian semiauto rifle 1942 production (S)

1 SMLE enfield (converted to 7.62 NATO.

more modern:

1 AR-15 with an "M203" 37mm flare launcher (S)

1 chinese AK-47 (S)
1 bulgarian AK-47
1 SKS-D (uses AK mags), chinese (belongs to my wife)
1 Yugo SKS

1 L1A1 (brit version of the FN-FAL)

(S)= sold it :bawling:

i have (or had) more, but the above listed were my "infantry" collection. there were a few gaps (and after selling some there are more gaps). oh, well, once we get to where we have spending money again i can fill the gaps in. the only one in the list above that really didn't work right was the SVT. when firing it would extract but not eject. if i buy another, i want one that works.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.