Generic Host Process traffic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have a very recent install of Windows 2000, and I use Zone Alarm 2.6. I've just noticed that the program "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" generates a lot of traffic, even when my connection is idle. From what I gather searching around, this process is internal to Windows and coordinates things like DNS lookups, etc. I can understand this, as the IP addresses it connects to are listed with names like "Web info", etc. However, it shows some activity nearly all the time, even when the connection has been idle for a long time. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I'm at home at the moment, so there is no LAN to interfere with my tests. I've never noticed this before, but then this is the first time I have used a dialup connection for a long while.

Thanks,
Tim.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This could be a good place to start:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;250320
Also perform a google search on "Svchost.exe"

Is ZoneAlarm well configured for the Generic Host Process?
Make sure you turned off "Allow Server"
Then you will have more control of what's happening.
You could eventually tell ZoneAlarm to ask permission every time Generic Host Process wants to access the Internet.

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.