How To Cut A Nylon Bolt?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I have a nylon, (I think it's nylon), bolt with a specially large head which needs to be partially cut off. The large head is preventing the movement of something above it, and I could easily cut off part of the head and still have the slots intact to remove it if I have to.

What cuts nylon? It's tough stuff. Do I hacksaw it, grind it, take a soldering iron and melt it down, or what?

Advice from anybody with experience working with this material is appreciated.

If you can remove the bolt and you have access to a lathe or milling machine, that would be the best way to modify the head. You might also pull the bolt and mount it in the chuck of a drill press, then you could hold a saw blade steady on the edge, letting the rotation aid your cutting. You could also try using a dremel with a cut-off wheel in it. Just a few quick ideas!

Peace,

Dave

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I want to thank everyone here for their very good suggestions.

As it turns out, the "prevention of movement" problem with the mechanism, of which the nylon bolt was a part, was caused by improper installation. I reinstalled the unit properly and now everything works as intended.

Since someone else installed the unit, for once the problem was not me. :smash: I could mention that I could have been quicker to recognize the improper installation, but I would rather not focus on that, lol. :)

Anyway, I have run into all sorts of problems with nylon bolts and fasteners before, and I have no doubt that I will again-they do seem to be making more things with it all the time. In which case, you can be sure I will give all of these excellent suggestions a try.

Thank you all again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.