Canadians persecuting Americans? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 6th March 2003, 03:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Canadians persecuting Americans?

A couple friends of mine went up to Vancouver for the weekend and had a couple of very strange experiences. My friends are originally from Alabama and have the accent to match so anyone in earshot is going to know what country they are from.

First they were kicked out of a bar while trying to order a drink. They walked in sat down and ordered a beer (their first of the day) and the bartender says, "you look like you've had too much to drink." One of my friends thinks he's just being funny and starts laughing. This seems to anger the bartender and he proceeds to ask them to leave the property.

Later they are having dinner at a nice restaurant and in the middle of their steaks, one notices that while their steaks were served to them on wooden cutting boards, everyone else in the restaurant is eating off plates. A backpedaling waiter tried to explain it away.

Whether they were told or not, my friends attributed this treatment to Canadian anti-war sentiment, ironically echoed by my friends. They blew it off and didn't get too angry about it. If it were me, I would have been livid.

Is this really happening or were my friends just impaired from their visit to the Blunt Brothers Cafe? Is this happening in other parts of the world?

Old 6th March 2003, 05:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the bartender says, "you look like you've had too much to drink."
Was this after the visit to Blunt Bros.?

Quote:
...in the middle of their steaks, one notices that while their steaks were served to them on wooden cutting boards, everyone else in the restaurant is eating off plates.
How could you not "notice" this until half way through the meal?

Quote:
...my friends attributed this treatment to Canadian anti-war sentiment, ironically echoed by my friends. They blew it off and didn't get too angry about it.
There are people here who are pissed at the American government, but not the American people.

Quote:
Is this really happening or were my friends just impaired from their visit to the Blunt Brothers Cafe?
I'm not calling either your friends(or you) liars, but this whole story sounds kind of bunk. While it is an interesting story, nothing in it seems to ring true. I would rack up their "experience" to a little ride on the ganja train.

Old 6th March 2003, 05:55 AM   #3
alvaius is offline alvaius  Canada
diyAudio Member

How much did it cost for the sled team to get them from the bar to the restaurant?

Alvaius

Old 6th March 2003, 05:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

That's a relief. I figured because this site is so Canadian rich, I could get the real story. The behavior my friends saw is not reflected in the posts I read.

My friend *can* inadvertantly twist reality, cannabanoids or not. I certainly don't contest they were thrown out of a bar. It's happened to them before in years past, but it usually takes several hours of hard drinking and some cute waitress to make it happen. I imagine their experience at the bar influenced their reaction at dinner.

Old 6th March 2003, 07:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

First off all, we (and you) don't know how your friends behaved that night. I really doubt that they did not do anything offensive..

I also don't believe that they were "mistreated" because of anti-war feelings.
Those feelings are much stronger here in Europe, yet non of my american colleges working here have experienced anything of that nature.

I do believe that most of the american people think that the rest of the world is against them, but that's not the case. The world just hates Bush and what he's doing to the world.
It's not the fault of the american people, not even those who voted for him. They couldn't have known that 9/11 was going to happen.

Old 6th March 2003, 07:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

My friend allowed a few more facts that he somehow missed before.

The bar was the Jolly Taxpayer and the retelling of the story allows that an innocent request for a verbal list of draft beers quickly turned into a heated exchange. Most likely the combination of a quick-tempered customer who doesn't realize how comes off and a barkeep who was a little sensitive.

The steak on plank happened at Hy's. When they asked a passing waiter about their place settings, the waiter replied that their cuts of meat are traditionally served on cutting boards. If they had ordered a filet or a ribeye, it would have come on a plate. My friends then looked down at their respective filet and ribeye a bit puzzled. Because it was a nice restaurant, they decided not to push their luck and instead finished each other's steak (waiter mixed up the order), left a generous tip, and left.

Later that night, they reflected on their experiences that included anti-war demonstrations and figured it must be anti-american sentiment. They figured their strong Alabama accents made them targets.

No sled team for them. Dogs sleep on the porch where they're from. They get around in their BMW's equipped with Alabama decal, confederate license plate frame, BR549 vanity plate, and dixie horn.

Old 6th March 2003, 07:54 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Vancouver is a tourist town & has a very large contingent of American movie makers (3rd largest movie production spot in the world).

There is a very diverse community. Like any community there will be some preducdices, but in a place like a bar or resturant they probably "asked" for any treatment they got (these guys know who pays the bills).

The steak on a wooden platter is usually a sign of a higher-end product ... the cheap steaks get the plates.

Most Canadians realize that many Americans are just as upset with Bush about his war stand and don't lump an American individual in with the "leadership"

dave

planet10/ hopes that Saddam backs down & the George is just playing chicken to get him to

Old 6th March 2003, 08:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've known these guys for nine years and they are not hellraisers but rather polite. However, one of them can adopt a caustic tone when annoyed that he's oblivious to.

I think the bartender was getting his buttons pushed by the caustic one who was getting increasingly frustrated trying to order a beer from a barkeep who wanted to quiz him on his tastes instead of just naming off the beers on tap per his repeated request. As his frustration level increased, his tone became caustic. The second one, easy going and polite to a fault, laughs when the highly agitated bartender suggests that they've had too much to drink, thinking that the bartender is trying to be funny. The bartender now thinking that he is being mocked, throws them out.

It seems clear the bartender was trying to help suggest a beer to his liking but he really just wanted to know what was on tap as he would prefer to order by name. He's a good-ol-boy trying hard to be a yuppie.

I think it was just a personality clash and maybe a touch of chemically induced paranoia.

Old 6th March 2003, 08:11 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ultrachrome
chemically induced paranoia.
Well the best pot in the world does come from BC and i'm sure at least 30% of the bartenders maintain familiarity with it

Click the image to open in full size.

dave

Old 6th March 2003, 08:43 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

You know, that's what I hear.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!