Lead vs. Silver solder - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2013, 03:08 PM   #81
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Zeppy, silver solder or any solder does not affect how fast the signal travels, we are not defeating your point but pointing out the reality of soldering and solder joints. And if there is one thing I have seen enought of in my life it is solder joints and here I am talking about millions not just a few.
How are you gonna re-solder all the SMD components in a computer LOL
Old 17th January 2013, 03:20 PM   #82
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

zeppy, please allow me a guess... you make cables, but build no electronics
Old 17th January 2013, 03:20 PM   #83
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Resoldering is far more likely to create problems than to improve things. As DF96 astutely pointed out, some of the new distortions created by poor solder rework or inappropriate choices of solder might be interpreted by the wishful as "improvements."

When I need advice about solder, I go to guys who have been doing that stuff professionally for decades.
Old 17th January 2013, 04:27 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppy2033 View Post
Thanks tinitus for your data, I really appreciate that.

Sy, television or computer will work better (more audio/video quality or fastest process) with 97Sn 3Ag applied in proper points, no doubt.
At last: maybe Van Den Hul is wrong?
That's all.
Plenty doubt actually.

Van den Huul? What has he said about solder and the content of silver?
What do you think about the transitionpoints, where the audio signal travels from the copper in the PCB, over to the tin/lead/silver in the solder, and then to the tin on the component legs, into the aluminum or copper in their legs, then to the gold wire inside most transistors? Does the signal travel in different speeds in all those materials? What happens to the signal when it goes from silver to copper? Does it for any form of queue? Traffic jam in the amp?
Lets see some technical papers who supports Your statyements please
Old 17th January 2013, 07:39 PM   #85
5daudio is offline 5daudio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

this is what i bought 15ft of out of curiosity to see if i could hear any difference vs 60/40, i would not use it on fine trace pcb's

M-SOLDER Supreme Specifications: 88.6% tin / 1.8% Copper / 9.5% silver / 0.1% gold

has anybody else used the same solder?
Old 17th January 2013, 07:54 PM   #86
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

15ft interconnects ?... but will it sound better than 15ft of 60/40
Old 17th January 2013, 08:11 PM   #87
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

Zeppy, old onion ... first: [read the comments above]. They're right.

Second ... there is NOTHING about "solder" that'll improve sound (except if its made from something hideously non-metallic!). The amount of solder used in joints, the gaps between conductors (that actually do the work of carrying the signals) are so small ... that even moderately high resistance solder, has only microohms of resistance per joint.

Third ... unless you're REALLY good soldering, most attempts to unsolder-and-resolder end up as ham-handed hack-jobs. I've seen hundreds of accidental cold-solder joints, I've seen crumbling solder, I've seen blobs-that-threaten-to-short out components. I've seen just about every soldering "sin" a-going, and my net-net after 40 years? DO NOT KID YOURSELF. Every solder joint you make is playing with a 100-chamber Russian Roulette gun. Just say no. Reagan said it best.

GoatGuy
Old 17th January 2013, 08:17 PM   #88
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If solder affects the 'speed' of signals how come ordinary solder has been used for years quite successfully up to low microwave frequencies? That is, 5 orders of magnitude higher in frequency than treble audio. Oh sorry, I forgot, the ears of an audiophile (when assisted by his eyes) are much more sensitive than the finest products from Agilent and Tektronix.

At higher frequencies silver solder may be used, but this is not because of 'speed' but resistance so that resonator Q can be maintained. Valid science for 2GHz; audiophile nonsense for 20kHz.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:27 PM   #89
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad View Post
If you buy ROHS-compliant consumer electronics, know that the failure rate (in particular with small, high density ICs) is significantly higher than non-compliant assemblies.
ROHS is one of the dumbest directves the EU ever created.
Fortunately, it doesn't apply to non commercial equipment, so dont care a sh-t about being lead-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5daudio View Post
if it did not sound better the mundorf would have gone in the trash can, it looks horrible.
Use Cardas Quad eutectic (with lead), and it will look good too. And afaik it costs about the same as mundorf silver solder.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:53 PM   #90
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Radio Shack 2% silver. Way cheaper, works perfectly. For straight 60/40, there's Kester (but conflict of interest for me, that's part of our company).

Hide this!Advertise here!