The unexplained pneumonia is here!!! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2003, 01:24 PM   #11
ywh is offline ywh
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ywh
Default WHO issues a global alert about cases of atypical pneumonia

WHO issues a global alert about cases of atypical pneumonia
Cases Of Severe Respiratory Illness May Spread To Hospital Staff

12 March 2003 | GENEVA -- Since mid February, WHO has been actively working to confirm reports of outbreaks of a severe form of pneumonia in Viet Nam, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), China, and Guangdong province in China.

In Viet Nam the outbreak began with a single initial case who was hospitalized for treatment of severe, acute respiratory syndrome of unknown origin. He felt unwell during his journey and fell ill shortly after arrival in Hanoi from Shanghai and Hong Kong SAR, China. Following his admission to the hospital, approximately 20 hospital staff became sick with similar symptoms.

The signs and symptoms of the disease in Hanoi include initial flu-like illness (rapid onset of high fever followed by muscle aches, headache and sore throat). These are the most common symptoms. Early laboratory findings may include thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) and leucopenia (low white blood cell count). In some, but not all cases, this is followed by bilateral pneumonia, in some cases progressing to acute respiratory distress requiring assisted breathing on a respirator. Some patients are recovering but some patients remain critically ill.

Today, the Department of Health Hong Kong SAR has reported on an outbreak of respiratory illness in one of its public hospitals. As of midnight 11 March, 50 health care workers had been screened and 23 of them were found to have febrile illness. They were admitted to the hospital for observation as a precautionary measure. In this group, eight have developed early chest x-ray signs of pneumonia. Their conditions are stable. Three other health care workers self-presented to hospitals with febrile illness and two of them have chest x-ray signs of pneumonia.

Investigation by Hong Kong SAR public health authorities is on-going. The Hospital Authority has increased infection control measures to prevent the spread of the disease in the hospital. So far, no link has been found between these cases and the outbreak in Hanoi.

In mid February, the Government of China reported that 305 cases of atypical pneumonia, with five deaths, had occurred in Guangdong province. In two cases that died, chlamydia infection was found. Further investigations of the cause of the outbreak is ongoing. Overall the outbreaks in Hanoi and Hong Kong SAR appear to be confined to the hospital environment. Those at highest risk appear to be staff caring for the patients.

No link has so far been made between these outbreaks of acute respiratory illness in Hanoi and Hong Kong and the outbreak of `bird flu,` A(H5N1) in Hong Kong SAR reported on 19 February. Further investigations continue and laboratory tests on specimens from Viet Nam and Hong Kong SAR are being studied by WHO collaborating centres in Japan and the United States.

Until more is known about the cause of these outbreaks, WHO recommends patients with atypical pneumonia who may be related to these outbreaks be isolated with barrier nursing techniques. At the same time, WHO recommends that any suspect cases be reported to national health authorities.

WHO is in close contact with relevant national authorities and has also offered epidemiological, laboratory and clinical support. WHO is working with national authorities to ensure appropriate investigation, reporting and containment of these outbreaks.

For more information contact:
Old 13th March 2003, 01:37 PM   #12
zardoz is offline zardoz  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to zardoz
Default YWH

Our thoughts and hopes are for you, keep you and your's safe.

zardoz
Old 13th March 2003, 10:30 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Takusama
If I were you I would be packing and getting the hell out of there, fast!...I mean, this is life or death we are talking about. Pack your bags and get the hell out of there and move to a place where there is no such virus.

And yes, I know what you are thinking "Easy for you to say", but come on! YOU may be the next victim and you don't want that to happen ...do you?

And if you don't decide to move, do not worry. I will cross my fingers and even my toes and hope that you will live a good, clean, and healthy life.

//Taku
Old 14th March 2003, 01:10 AM   #14
zardoz is offline zardoz  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to zardoz
Default Takusama

In the first post of this thread YWH proclaims that he is a doctor. This being the case I highly doubt that he will pack up and move, I think there is something about the "hippocratic oath" http://www.medhelpnet.com/oath.html that I'm sure YWH has chosen to commit to.
You wouldn't tell a squad of firemen that they should "leave the mother and baby..it's too dangerous to go back for them"

In a stress situation such as this our friend needs to hear our support, not alarmist cries to flee the country.

zardoz
Old 14th March 2003, 01:58 AM   #15
Lifter is offline Lifter  United States
diyAudio Member

Headlines on Yahoo today:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...pneumonia_dc_2
Old 14th March 2003, 03:23 AM   #16
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Takusama
If I were you I would be packing and getting the hell out of there, fast
The real question is: should he take his stereo?...
Old 14th March 2003, 12:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Takusama
So it's better to be a Hero and die then to be a Coward and live to see another day?

Well, in any case. Ywh, I hope you'll both be a hero and live to see another day then.

You guys have to excuse my weird 17 year old mind. My philosophies usually get pretty outrages, sometimes they're good and sometimes they're not.

So I will end this post by quoting a very courages and cool made up characer who goes by the name of Vash the stampede...

"Love and piece!!!"

Old 15th March 2003, 01:12 PM   #18
ywh is offline ywh
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ywh
thank every one!
i am a surgeon, i dot need to touch the unexplained pneumonia.
but my wife is a charge nurse at internal medicine,
now another charge nurse was terminally ill.
we have not enough safeguard.
Old 15th March 2003, 01:43 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to TjongKristian
Default Oh sucks!

There is a furniture trade show in Guang Zhou in the next couple of days, and I have to travel to there and Hong Kong. This is sucks, should I take any precaution? High dose of vitamin C perhaps?
Old 15th March 2003, 03:31 PM   #20
Nednai is offline Nednai  San Marino
diyAudio Member

Has anyone seen this reported in the MMWR?

Hide this!Advertise here!