ebayer sucks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2008, 11:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ebayer sucks

On or about Dec 1, I wandered into ebay looking for a Dynaco Stereo 70 amplifier. I found a buy it now and purchased it. I sent Paypal payment to the owner promptly and an email asking when he would be sending it out. Several days later I receive an email telling me he is refunding my money because his child dropped a clamp on the driver board and broke the driver tubes. I told him I would take it anyway and he sent my money back.

This is a violation of ebay policy as both parties have to agree to a refund. I contacted ebay and they were very interested but unfortunately I was unable to make my email show the times and servers and identification they needed to nail his ***.

I just saw that this *** has the same amplifier listed again except minus the tubes. When I purchased it had all the tubes.
Now, looking at his feedback I noticed that he sold the output tubes and rectifier tubes for a bunch.

This current ebay number is 260200257846

I would avoid this person.

Does anyone know how to make MSN mail show everything in case this happens again?
Old 7th January 2008, 12:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ebayer sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
On or about Dec 1, I wandered into ebay looking for a Dynaco Stereo 70 amplifier. I found a buy it now and purchased it. I sent Paypal payment to the owner promptly and an email asking when he would be sending it out. Several days later I receive an email telling me he is refunding my money because his child dropped a clamp on the driver board and broke the driver tubes. I told him I would take it anyway and he sent my money back.

This is a violation of ebay policy as both parties have to agree to a refund. I contacted ebay and they were very interested but unfortunately I was unable to make my email show the times and servers and identification they needed to nail his ***.

I just saw that this *** has the same amplifier listed again except minus the tubes. When I purchased it had all the tubes.
Now, looking at his feedback I noticed that he sold the output tubes and rectifier tubes for a bunch.

Does anyone know how to make MSN mail show everything in case this happens again?
Did you leave negative feedback at eBay? Most sellers hate that big time. Just say in a few words what happend, factually, like: "I paid the Buy Now price but seller refunded and didn't ship"

Jan Didden
Old 7th January 2008, 02:53 PM   #3
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)

Quote:

Hi.

An unfortunate story but all too common nowadays.

You should report the story to Ebay (if not already done) quoting all the listing numbers etc.
I recently bid on an AppleMac laptop, not cheap!! My suspicions were aroused when the seller requested payment by Western Union and disclosed they were in Romania not the USA as it said on the listing.
I reported this to Ebay, the transaction was cancelled and the seller is blacklisted.

I never reveal my email address. That way all communication is via Ebay Messages and can be traced. (My hotmail account is set to save sent mail as well as received.)

Good luck
Andy
Old 7th January 2008, 05:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Sorry to hear. As one who has also been burned, you have my sympathy

Quote:
....but unfortunately I was unable to make my email show the times and servers and identification they needed to nail his ***.
Can you view the email source? That's what you need to send to Ebay.... it has all the info. There's a "Source Viewer" plugin for Mozilla products, as well as Eudora.

Good luck!
Old 8th January 2008, 02:12 AM   #5
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss
i also have problems @ ebay
i bought a big package in 1000$ total via paypal .
the dude said he sent the stuff , but i didnt get nothing yet (almost a month)
can i do anything?
Old 8th January 2008, 06:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by sss
i also have problems @ ebay
i bought a big package in 1000$ total via paypal .
the dude said he sent the stuff , but i didnt get nothing yet (almost a month)
can i do anything?
If it was sent surface, you can wait four months. That's why I only use air

If it was insured (at $1,000 I hope it was!), you can have him start an insurance claim. If he was a Canadian you bought from, our postal pays up claims quick with little hassles.

Cheers!
Old 8th January 2008, 01:25 PM   #7
johnYks is offline johnYks  Australia
diyAudio Member

Dear Burnedfingers

I expected the worse when I started to use ebay, the truth
of the matter is the vast majority of ebayers are courteous
polite civilised gentlemen, it's only the occasional crettin that
ruins an otherwise essential service.

These things happen, you move on - I had a similarly
dissapointing transaction where I successfully bid for a
Meridian pre-amp only to be told a day later that he had
taken it to the post office in order to weigh it and thereby
determine shipping costs, but had unfortunately dropped
it and the Meridian was now in 'tatters'.
I didn't press the issue because I figured there was no way
I was ever going to get the Meridian in anything other than
'tatters' but on the positive side I did get a positive
feedback.

The gentleman in question went under the moniker of
STEVIE WONDER, now whenever I hear anything by the
real Stevie Wonder I crack-up - I was never much of a
Stevie Wonder fan anyway so it's not a big loss one way
or another.

Good luck with future purchases, the Dynaco is a worthwhile
product but you would do better building something similar
yourself.

Yours Sincerely
John

PS
I know my post doesn't really help you resolve anything
but on the positive side of things I am a 'newbie' and need
to make a number of posts before I am allowed full
member status so this post will hopefully get me closer to
full member status and hopefully brought a smile to your face.
Old 9th January 2008, 03:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I agree most of the people are on the up and up and you can usually weed out real losers. I've been burnt both as a buyer and seller, never for more than 100 bucks or so. One bit of advice always use tracked shipping and never throw away the tracking slips.

One buyer waited until day 89 to cancel via his credit card. I even had a dated email from him thanking me for receipt of the item. Ebay accepted ONLY the tracking number as proof of receipt.
Old 10th January 2008, 10:54 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys I have this person's ebay identity on my do not purchase sheet. There is nothing I can do but let it go now.
Sorry for venting.
Old 12th January 2008, 12:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

At least you got your money back.

Seems to me like he was trying to be helpful, but didn't realise that he was in breach of the rules and that you would have been happy re-tubing it.

Your experience seems better than that of most people that have had their fingers burnt (sorry!) on ebay, but it is obviously annoying.

james

Hide this!Advertise here!