Having the last word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
halojoy said:

pioneers remote control bus
---------------------------
Helix, have I missed something?
Have you made an enquiery in this thread or another one?

You know I would make 10 searches with www.google.com - Right Away ;)

Yes halo, you are right, doing a google search normally yealds good results in 10 searches or at least find enough information to select some better search terms/params.

However i have tried this and searched for an hour or so but found nuthing......

Now, i know u are a very resorceful guy... and i thought you would know about some other (less common) search and select procedures.

TED

I hope you are not going to just let this GREAT thread die... :rolleyes: Anyway, I have a few questions...

1. Whats the lowest frequency you can actually hear inside a car?

2. Can I use 1 9-0-9 transformer for each rail of my amplifier?

3. If I do the above, and the transformers are 250VA, does this give me 500VA??

4. If I had a car, I would want to put subs in it... with ports, is it even worth it, or would the ports have no effect because in such a small space the lower frequencies are no there?

You see, I was planning on getting 2 10inch subs, and mounting them in the trunk in vented enclosures so they faced through the hole created by the fold down arm rest, and then have the ports come up on opposite ends of the parcel shelf, so I would hopefully still have the stereo seperation, even though the subs would be right next to each other.. :)

SkinnyBoy said:
I hope you are not going to just let this GREAT thread die... :rolleyes: Anyway, I have a few questions...

1. Whats the lowest frequency you can actually hear inside a car?
As low as you can hear outside the car :)

2. Can I use 1 9-0-9 transformer for each rail of my amplifier?
if you want, yes :)

3. If I do the above, and the transformers are 250VA, does this give me 500VA??
when does a 250va transformer give you 500va ? when it's a 500va transformer! :)

4. If I had a car, I would want to put subs in it... with ports, is it even worth it, or would the ports have no effect because in such a small space the lower frequencies are no there?
Ports have fairly much the same effect inside or even outside of a car :)

You see, I was planning on getting 2 10inch subs, and mounting them in the trunk in vented enclosures so they faced through the hole created by the fold down arm rest, and then have the ports come up on opposite ends of the parcel shelf, so I would hopefully still have the stereo seperation, even though the subs would be right next to each other.. :)
You won't really notice any sterep seperation if running the subs below 100hz in a car. Is the hole created by the arm rest really big enough for 2 10inch subs :scratch:

Helix said:

As low as you can hear outside the car :)

But the length of the waves.... aren't they too long to hear in a car?

Helix said:
when does a 250va transformer give you 500va ? when it's a 500va transformer! :)

It doesn't.... But I am using a seperate 250va trans for each rail...??

Helix said:
You won't really notice any sterep seperation if running the subs below 100hz in a car. Is the hole created by the arm rest really big enough for 2 10inch subs :scratch:

The hole is not big enough.. lol

SkinnyBoy said:

But the length of the waves.... aren't they too long to hear in a car?

Hi,

You are quite right here, and it is not possible to obtain similar depth of bass in the limited space available in a car.

My own listening room is about 23 feet long, and bass will simply 'cut off' at a lowish frequency (off the top of my head I don't recall precisely what that is, possibly around 25/30Hz, but I did calculate it a while ago) because below this frequency a single sinewave is longer than the longest dimension of the room and the soundwave simply cannot be *properly* propagated.

With the perhaps 8/10 feet or so available in an average car, the lower cut-off will be much higher, whether we like it or not!:goodbad:

This is (partly) the reason why in (very much larger) churches and cathedrals etc. the bass notes of (say 16 foot) pipe organs sound so powerful and you can actually 'feel' them more than just hear them.:cool:

I say "partly" because hall/room reverberation will have some 'enhancing' effect too.

Regards,

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Bobken said:
You are quite right here, and it is not possible to obtain similar depth of bass in the limited space available in a car.

...because below this frequency a single sinewave is longer than the longest dimension of the room and the soundwave simply cannot be *properly* propagated.

With the perhaps 8/10 feet or so available in an average car, the lower cut-off will be much higher, whether we like it or not!:goodbad:

Bobken:

I have heard this theory, but I have come to doubt it.

I have not done measurements in a car, but if your theory holds and your car's interior is 8 ft long, then the lowest note that can be propagated is 140 Hz! The wavelength of 140 Hz = 8 ft long.

Subjectively, bass in a car goes much lower than that-otherwise, nobody would bother buying a car subwoofer bigger than 5 inches or so. ;) ;)

Bobken said:
SkinnyBoy said:

This is (partly) the reason why in (very much larger) churches and cathedrals etc. the bass notes of (say 16 foot) pipe organs sound so powerful and you can actually 'feel' them more than just hear them.:cool:

I say "partly" because hall/room reverberation will have some 'enhancing' effect too.

Regards,

:cannotbe:

i can easily get down to 35 hz (admittly not very flat res. but good enough) in my car, but it's much smaller then your room. Some ppl have cars operating down to 20Hz or so and these cars are def. not the size of churches :yes:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
kelticwizard said:

I have heard this theory, but I have come to doubt it.

Correct Wiz, this is a case of people confusing the thought model with reality.

We are all told to imagine sound waves as nice sinusoidal curves on a piece of paper, but in fact they are radiating zones of compression and rarefaction.

Bob, your analogy holds up for volumes that produce a tone through resonance, by an undifferentiated input, but not for pressure waves that are propagated through a medium. If this were true, it would be impossible to build a sub bass speaker that would fit in your house.

In fact, this is one reason for rising bass response in a room, as the room dimensions act like tuned resonances, and emphasise certain bass frequencies. It is also a factor in positioning subs in a room.

Basically any space that can support the pressure variation needed by a wave will transmit that wave, I haven't calculated it, but it would be quite small!

;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
BASS.

Hi,

Basically any space that can support the pressure variation needed by a wave will transmit that wave, I haven't calculated it, but it would be quite small!

Aren't standing waves a big problem inside a car?

Also,have you all noticed that you have louder bass outside than inside....geee...some of those cars are better equipped than a disco.:rolleyes:

Cheers,;)

Re: BASS.

fdegrove said:
Aren't standing waves a big problem inside a car?

Not that I know much about acoustics, but isn't it rather the
other way around? In a building you get problems with standing
waves at low frequencies since the walls reflect the sound.
In a car, most surfaces have a lot of damping and don't reflect.
The rest is mostly windows, which will reflect high frequencies,
but tend to transmit rather than reflect at low frequencies.

Also,have you all noticed that you have louder bass outside than inside....geee...some of those cars are better equipped than a disco.:rolleyes:

Yes, and I especially hate it when they park their cars outside
my windows with the stereo on.

I also have problems with standings waves from my neighbours
subwoofer, but the neighbours themselves seem not to even
notice the problem. :(

Bobken said:
My own listening room is about 23 feet long, and bass will simply 'cut off' at a lowish frequency (off the top of my head I don't recall precisely what that is, possibly around 25/30Hz, but I did calculate it a while ago) because below this frequency a single sinewave is longer than the longest dimension of the room and the soundwave simply cannot be *properly* propagated.

contradiction :

Bobken said:
I am well aware of the fact that it is possible to make a *noise* under these circumstances, but that is not by any stretch of the imagination, reproducing the originally recorded sound *properly* as a simple test set-up will show you.
:headshot:

Why not open the windows or failing that, buy an open top. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.