LOA's the good, the bad, and getting them to work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm starting this thread after searching high and low for advice on using LOAs in projectors. I currently want to build a projector and I want to use a LOAs to light it. I know there have been debates on here for or against using them, what I want here is advice from those who have had success using them in there projectors. I just picked one up at Walmart to play around with it here are my first impressions.

1. I am going to need to work on a better reflector, I played around with alumium foil and it managed to help focus the light somewhat.

2. I don't know how many fresnels it is going to take to get these lights under control but it will be serveral.

3. I am thinking of maybe building a reflective cone around the light and have the light come out of the top of the bulb.

Anyway for those who are using LOAs what are your tips for getting the best proformence out of them, and any tips with using them with a overhead LCD panel.

using loa's = fluorex

i supose you have a fluorex now, at least 6850 lumen?

my sugestion ans experience is that you should keep the distance between bulb and panel/lcd screen as small as possible.

there is hardly any heat so it should not be a big problem. Recuperate all the light, meaning guide it through a tunnel or whatever solution you come up with. Use 2 of these puppies at least and succes should be a quarantee.

slight correction

I ahve made 3 sets, each with 2 LOA's under an angle

I truly have no clue on what to advise you!

I am old school bought the lenses for lenses surplus (all victor lenses) and one fresnel, apollo

I sold all three
they fit in a toybox from IKEA ($9.99)
that was about 2 years ago

no one cared going my way so I did not push the issue any further.
Now I have a panel and pj
and I am working with 2 lcd's to obtain a straight system without cangles or mirrors, more compact

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.