UHP lamp. How to turn it on?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello i had a projector that was with eletronic problems so i decided to open it and get all parts i could from it to build a DIY projector.
Well now i have a 100w UHP lamp and the control Board of it. But i don't know how to power it up... In the projector it was connected to a power suply board that was there to give power to the light, fans, lcd's, and all that stuff that i have no idea what it was.
Now i just want to use the light.. how to power it up?
Here is 2 pictures. one of the lamp and one of the board.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Don't use HPS starter with UHP Lamp !!!!!
The lamp will explode !

Put 400v at the ballast's input, and if it OK - than lamp will work, but don't forget that you should provide cooling for the lamp (znd the ballast)

In the projector, 400v goes from the Power Factor Corrector (PFC).

Put 400v at the ballast's input, and if it OK - than lamp will work, but don't forget that you should provide cooling for the lamp (znd the ballast)

How this can be done? the other guy told me i just needed a 365v dc stabilized power supply to power the light board and then the lamp will light. Can you explain me how to do this?
It's hard?

alapimba said:

How this can be done? the other guy told me i just needed a 365v dc stabilized power supply to power the light board and then the lamp will light. Can you explain me how to do this?
It's hard?

The lamp driver ("ballast) - is powered from the PFC.
The output PFC voltage - is near 400v.
So, You need 400v DC stabilized power supply.

P.S. On the photo - the old Philips ballst. Next generation of this devices for 120W UHP (you can see it in many InFocus's' projectors) - was developed in our company 5 years ago.

Where can i find a power factor corrector?
Can you show me a picture of one power factor corrector?
This is something danger to do due to the high voltage?
It's more dangerus than a HQI light set?
Do you think i should tyr to find a new ballast(lamp driver) for use with my lamp or this one should be good enought?
This lamp driver only has 2 cables comming from it.. one use to connect to the power suply board and other to another board called "small signal board" i assume this cable has no need to light up the lamp, right?

The PFC connects direct to the pins on the board?

Thanks for your help.

oh a PFC is like a chip.. i have to build a board.. well that way it's completely out.
i'm trying to find a power suply with 400vdc output but i can't find any online. well at least something that it's not of my size.. lol..
can you point me to a site or something?
thanks again

No, PFC is not oly "a chip" - it is also a coil, power mosfet, power diode and electrolitic capacitor.
Unfortunately, I cant provide You a site, where You can buy power supply.
Try to buy a transformer, let say 120-150W with 280-300v out, and use rectifier bridge and electrolitic capacitor, at least 250 uF 450V. I think it will work.

BTW, why not to use PFC from You projector ? You said that projector have some problems in electronics, maybe PFC is good ?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Guys a couple of things your missing here.

1), The danger!!!, this stuff is potentionally lethal. If you dont know what your doing either take it to a trained personel or dont do it at all.

2) Why make a 400v psu when it already has one? Its got the ballast right there in the pic, why make another?

3) UHP bulbs MUST be run to their exact spec or they wont fire at all. They are very sensitive and unless you have the correct voltage/amperage to spec it wont fire. Even a 5v difference wont make it fire.

4) Just because this light has a very nice reflector doesnt mean it will work on your lcd. The beam pattern on these lights are so perfected for very small DLP/LCD chips quite often its impossible to get it to work on anything larger. Unless this reflector is an ellipsidal it wont work.

5) These lamps must have cool air on them in the apropiate place. Failing to do so will either overheat the bulb or the bulb will explode.

My advice. Simple, run the lamp on its original gear in its original configeration. This way its safe and you wont spend a dime to soon see that it wont/will work on your lcd.

Trev:)

Thanks for your advices Trev.

I tried to run it from the original gear but i don't know why, i was not able to do that. the power suply also has plugs for the fans and even the fans i was not able to power up. so my problem is probably on the power suply board.

Assuming that the power suply board is the problem and the light board is working fine..(everything worked before i open up the projector to remove the light the fans and the objective) if i wanted to power it up what i would need, to give 365v to the board? it's something not safe? it's big? I'm building a projector with a 5" lcd to try everything (this is my first time :xeye:) and obvious to make it small...but so far everything i see with that voltage is something really big..and really PRO.

After all the ppl that told me to be careful about the high voltage (ppl on other forum told me to take care about this issue too) i guess it's better starting really thinking in sell this lamp together with the driver board and buy an HQI light set :cannotbe:

Well i don't know how to plug an HQI lamp too but i assume it's something easier...

DANGER UHP LAMP HIGH VOLTAGE

Hello i had a projector that was with eletronic problems so i decided to open it and get all parts i could from it to build a DIY projector.
Well now i have a 100w UHP lamp and the control Board of it. But i don't know how to power it up... In the projector it was connected to a power supply board that was there to give power to the light, fans, lcd's, and all that stuff that i have no idea what it was.
Now i just want to use the light.. how to power it up?
Here is 2 pictures. one of the lamp and one of the board.

HI jerbel123 here
Danger UHP Lamp has a very high start up voltage of 3 to VA more than enough to kill you it has a running voltage of about volts DC again enough to cause serious harm or death to some people.
If you do not have a circuit diagrams or manuals forget this dangerous tinkering as with even electrical or electronic knowledge what you are trying to do is very dangerous, leave alone or get proper help, if what you are trying to do was so easy everyone would be doing it rather than pay high projector prices.GOOD LUCK AND TAKE CARE jerbel123

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.