is 175W enough?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
im trying to find a light source for my PJ...my lcd is about 9" and i got a dual frensel...will 175W Metal Halide be enough to power it? i got a 500W halogen out of my old OHP and put it in my box but the projected image is not bright enough for me..watchable but i want brighter

thanks

I just did a quick search, It looks like a 500W halogen puts out about 9,000 to 13,000 lumens. A 175W metal puts out about the same amount or a little more. Depending on how much your halogen outputs, you may or may not see an improvment with a 175W. You will see an improvement with at least a 250W metal halide. 250W metal halides put out around 20,000 lumens.

thanks for the reply...would 400W metal halide be overkill for a 9" lcd? im putting it for now in a big box but might want to shrink down the box..if i do..will i see my blacks become more grey..meaning too much light with a 400W MH?

and is there a way to figure out how many lumens my halogen is putting out?

Look up your halogen by bulb model or OHP model. You should be able to find out how many lumens.

If you want a huge screen that can be seen even with some lights on, you might want to use a 400W. If you keep the room fairly dark and keep the screen size manageable, a 250W should due. If you’re using a reflector and condenser, I would go with the 250W. If you’re just sticking a bare bulb in your box, go with the 400W.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.