Afternoon!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Just joined today, after being sent links (thanks Vikash) to a couple of cabinet finishing threads.

I've been an active tinkerer of 'stuff' for quite a while, making loudspeakers (from purchased designs) and building my own AV furniture and LCD projector (http://spikyfish.com/speakers.jpg).

I'm also interested in room acoustics (http://spikyfish.com/acoustics/) and have built my own room treatment panels (http://spikyfish.com/acoustics/panels.html).

Having recently acquired some CNC gear, I have plans to start making 'interesting' speaker cabinets (translamination techniques), and I'm looking to learn more about speaker design, crossovers, amps and box finishing.

I've got a bit of experience with dust extraction systems and related safetly, and would recommend anyone interesting in cutting trees to read Bill Pentz's site (http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm).

Will be lurking for a while, but I expect my questions will start soon.

PS I admit it, I've lied... and ticked the 'have you searched?' box. I didn't check to see if I'd already written an introductory message :D

Many thanks.

I hope to be active and useful... or inquisitive at least...

I've just plumbed in a homemade ducting system (with a modified dust extractor) that may be of interest to people cutting dangerous stuff like MDF.

If I ever get round to taking some photos, what would be a suitable forum for a post? "Other Stuff\Everything Else" seems a little general...

Cal Weldon said:
I look forward to the pics.

I've been meaning to take some for a while, but space is very limited in my garage, so I'm hoping to borrow a *very* wide angle lens from a friend. He's out of the office this week, so I'll have to ask him when he's back.

Cal Weldon said:
Once you have cleared moderation, you will see an Off Topic area. That's probably the best spot.

OK, thanks.

Originally posted by Cal Weldon I always cut outside. That way I get to appreciate the full extent of the dust when the wind blows it back in my face. ;)

The often 'wonderful' English weather tends to see to that, plus wheeling a 200lb+ CNC machine outside isn't easy :)

I tend to do my spraying outside, which leads onto a whole bunch of questions I plan to be asking, once I've read through all the painting and a finishing posts I can find.

Cheers!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sploo said:
Having recently acquired some CNC gear, I have plans to start making 'interesting' speaker cabinets (translamination techniques), and I'm looking to learn more about speaker design, crossovers, amps and box finishing.

Hi, welcome to the forum...

Let me throw something at you ... we have been working to find someone at the cottage-factory level to make frugel-horn flat-paks for local diy consumption. If you have any interest mail me or scottmoose.

dave

Re: Re: Afternoon!

planet10 said:
Let me throw something at you ... we have been working to find someone at the cottage-factory level to make frugel-horn flat-paks for local diy consumption. If you have any interest mail me or scottmoose.

I'd certainly consider it.

The machine I'm running is a K2 3925. Practical cutting size for a single sheet (allowing for holddowns) is around 38"x20" (96x50cm), though it is possible to use the full table (39x25") with a bit of care.

I can run a 1/4" diameter bit at 1/4" depth of cut at around 120ipm (i.e 2" travel per second), so for the three passes required for a 3/4" sheet, you're looking at a production speed of around 40ipm (i.e. work out how many linear inches of cutting is required, and divide by 40 to get the approx cutting time).

If it's practical then we can go further. Or you could just post DXF files, and I'll take a look!

Cheers,

Gordon.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mail me. The only part that really needs CNCing is the side panels with the rebates for the inner panels. We bought a bit that was the rebate width so the only tool-path for the rebates is right down the centre.

The rest is best done with a panel cutter or good table saw.

Plans -- in pdf format -- are on the frugal-horn site. Have a look at them. The goal is to make the cottage industry proprieter some money and keep the cost less than what it would cost to hip across the Atlantic.

dave

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Welcome to diyAudio sploo and I would like to take the time to thank you for the link to the billpentz site about dust collection. I visited his site and had one of those Homer Simpson (DoH!) head banging moments.:headbash:

Lucky for me that I haven't started carving up massive amounts of MDF and it give me food for thought on how to go about protecting myself and family from the dust I'll be creating.

Thanks!:cheers:

Yea, it's a bit of an eye opener isn't it.

I wear a suitably rated dust mask (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=21462&ts=65323) and ensure I wear a hat + outer clothing layer(s), that all get removed before going back into the house.

If I'm lucky I might be able to get the time to put together some text and photos about the extraction system this weekend. Just like room correction, dust extraction is the last thing we think about, when it should be the first :xeye:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The latest project I did was a kitchen remodel and hardwood floors - but I did all the table saw work outside on the patio and wore a dust mask rated for spray paint (2 microns). Worked well - but I was just being careful - I didn't have the knowledge that Bill is exposing me to at his site. I sent him $20 US just to help out with keeping his site going - GREAT WEB SITE and highly recommended reading!! :up:

BTW - Lived in Ipswich and Felixstowe as a kid - Dad was stationed at Bentwaters AFB. Loved the fish & chips and those cute school girl uniforms. :bigeyes:

Cheers Mate! :drink:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.