Grettings from California

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just wanted to post a quick introduction since I am new here. I found this forum after hearing about the Playstation being used as quality CD player. I looked over that thread and decided to bust out my old PSX. I literately had to blow the dust off of it. I remember having some trouble with it when it was near the end of it's life as a game system so I figure I have nothing to loose by messing with it. I made some of the basic adjustments to it and it seems to work fine now for playing CDs and games. Perhaps when I get a good 2 channel system going I'll spend some more time modifying it.

I found myself back here yesterday off of a Google search. I have been looking for some high quality recordings on CD and there are a couple of great threads here on that topic.

It's great to see all the different countries that are represented here.

Right now I am just starting to gravitate towards quality sound reproduction. I have always been a huge fan of music. Now I'm at a point in my life where I can afford some quality equipment. I have been working on my living room home theater for about a year now and I still have some more work to do there. I got my first big screen and high def TV this past summer, we had a custom entertainment center built and I just got Series 3 TiVo. Somewhere in there I got a new receiver, a nice upconverting DVD player and a decent subwoofer. Now I'm waiting on the speakers to go with the whole setup. I have decided on the speakers but we're just taking a breather from all the Christmas debt before I make that purchase.

I have been researching and listening to speakers for about the last three months and through all that time spent researching I have learned a lot about speakers and speaker design. This has pulled me into audio even more.

I think what I would like to do is build my own set of speakers for a 2 channel setup in my family room. That will have to be after the home theater though.

This forum seems great and I'm sure I'll be around for a while.

Welcome!

Take care, when you DIY speakers.
There are two possibilties.
1. Copy a proven design, which you have already heard and appreciate.
2. Design your own dream.
Dreams can turn into nightmares. :D Well, it's not that bad. You only have to be resistant vs intermediate frustrations.
My typical experience (and I still love to DIY speakers):
Everything is calculated and built in a perfect manner. You turn it on and it sounds like the old phone of your grand ma. It typically takes me one full day to adjust it somehow and convert the produced noise to music.
Then another six months for fine tuning.
If you are impatient, better chose option 1.
If you have time and love to tweek, then option 2 can be fun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.