Introduction and where should my project go (with pic-y goodness!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I was going to pm a mod to ask about where my project should go, but it seems that I need to get my training wheels off first, so I guess I'll start here, and hopefully get some direction in the process.

I work as a computer tech at Arizona State University, and have been into computers ever since my dad brought home an Apple IIe from work, many many years ago. I'm no stranger to computer DIY/modding, and am working on (planning stages) a project for a music/FLAC/media server/player that I'm going to be building into a console radio that I picked up at the local GoodWill. I have the computer portion of the build well in hand, but ran out of expertise when looking into the audio portion of the project.

Since posts with pictures are ALWAYS better than posts without, here are some pics of the unit:

Here is the front of the unit with the top open. I will be replacing this top with one that opens all the way across the console, instead of having the split.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is what the speaker section looks like from the front.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is an overall of the back.

Closeup of the left side.

Closeup of the right side.

And here's what's in the shelfy bit on the right side.

On the back side, the section the speakers are on is 15.5" high by 12" wide, but as it is now, the speakers are not separated from the main part of the console. I have about 13" of depth to work with. The current woofer is 8" and the tweeter is 3".

I did a bit of brainstorming with some folks on a computer site I visit, and came up with PartsExpress as a good DIY vendor. I also got a recommendation for their house brand, Dayton Audio, as a good low-buck driver. Based on that, here's what I'm thinking of getting:

Tweeters (x2): http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-075&CFID=6044330&CFTOKEN=32503534

Woofers (x2): http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/psho...295-100&ctab=10&CFID=6044330&CFTOKEN=32503534

Crossovers (x2): http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-142&CFID=6044330&CFTOKEN=32503534

Subwoofer (x1): http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/psho...295-550&ctab=10&CFID=6044330&CFTOKEN=32503534

I was planning on building on 3 separate ported enclosures (L, R, and Sub, with the sub being mounted in the center firing down, once I put some 3" (or so) feet under this) to go into this, with the computer parts going into the extra space in the console. I chose a 10" sub instead of a 12" simply because I don't have room for an adequate 12" ported enclosure, based on the specs of the project idea (and I've gotten the impression that ported is better for this home stereo type application). The L and R satellites won't be able to use the same shape enclosure as in their project idea pages (does shape matter as much as volume with a baffled enclosure?), but I do have enough space to build enclosures of the same volume as the project idea enclosure.

The part I'm having trouble deciding on, is the plate amp to pair with the sub. Here's what PartsExpress has to offer:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CATID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=505

Back when I started, there was a plate amp that had a "sub-panel"/remote thing that could be mounted elsewhere, and would have been really handy (This would allow me to mount the plate amp internally or to the back with a re-routed power cord (internaly routed to a *good* power strip that will act as the power cord for the unit, and still have control of the sub via the secondary control plate, to be mounted in the top.), but that has since been discontinued, and since I've not really come across a lot of plate amp reviews, I'm not sure what to go with.

Other concerns: Should I get shielded drivers for this instead of regular ones considering I'm going to be putting a computer and flat panel monitor in here as well?

As an aside, anyone have a recommendation on a stereo receiver that might be a good for this as well?

Anyone with relevant knowledge have any input on amp or other choices? Anything you would change? Anything else I'm missing? Don't want to go too expensive, since I have other components to purchase for this project as well.

Hope you all enjoy the read, and I look forward to being dizzied by all the knowledge here!

I think I may have scared some folks. Regular hellos and general greetings are, as always, still welcomed and appreciated. As for the above, does anyone know what section/subforum here this project OUGHT to go in, once I have established myself a little more?

Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi uzor and welcome to the forums.

I'm still reading your first post so I'll get back to you when I'm done. ;) You might want to post it in the loudspeaker section and you might consider breaking it up into multiple posts as you'll often find that persons can answer only part of it but will hesitate because of the number of questions.

good to know, thanks. I guessed that loudspeakers was where this would fit best, but I wasn't sure. And I'll try to break it down into more manageable bites, so as to not scare away all the peoples. A bit of recon always helps one to better do as the locals.

moamps said:
Hi uzor! Good to have you here with us. In my language (Croatian) you nick means "role model". That must be a good sign. :)

Regards,
Milan

Interesting. I actually stole (borrowed? copied?) the name from some guy I saw on a local news show years and years and years ago. Neat to finally know that it means something (and what that is).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.