Full Range Drivers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2002, 10:48 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Bernhard,

Fertins are expensive….for experimental purposes. Do they have a site in English?

I did consider and trial many types of resistors. Beyschlag metal films do not have voltage ratings to suit tube amps. I prefer carbon film to metal oxide and carbon composition resistors. This is sound wise. There are high stability carbon film resistors and I have not had any stability problems over the years with 1W and 2W types. I must admit that I have not tried Tantalum nitride units.

Mohan
Old 3rd February 2002, 10:27 AM   #12
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello Mohan,

Quote:
Originally posted by Mohan Varkey

Fertins are expensive….for experimental purposes. Do they have a site in English?

try: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hpfertin/specif2.htm

the site is in French but the page i gave you is the specsheet.

Yes, they are expensive, but worth it.

If you want to know whether you can live with open baffle in your personl audio universe, take an old door or table plate or a piece of plywood, saw a hole for a speaker in it, mount the speaker and listen for a while.

So did i six weeks ago, just that I let the speaker run even w/o a baffle. Just wanted to try it out for an hour or so, then the Focal 7N303 I used was sitting for six weeks on the top of my Lowther Acoustas, making music. A little fabric dome tweeter was added in a rough manner to fill in some treble, worked fine.

So did i yesternight. I had sold my Acoustas the day before, the Fertins have not yet arrivend and i still am not happy with the baffle design so nothing has been built/prepared yet. I was longing for music and so i made a baffle from corrugated cardboard (32 cm x 32cm, assymetric placement), mounted the lil'tweeter also in the cardboard and put those units on a pair of moving boxes to have some stands and a bottom extension of the baffle.

And found myself still trapped in the music 3 hours later. In my audio universe, open baffle is magic. I repeated the experience that the Focal run open was outperforming (okok, no bass of course) the Lowther PM6A mounted in an enclosure.

So, the Fertin. I auditioned the Fertin in a 5-hour long listening session before i ordered a pair. A better speaker than the Focal, no question, everything more smooth and round and balanced, more detail resolution, more impact when needed, seduuuucing µdynamics. But, seducing µdynamics are a property of open baffle in general. Just, the Fertin seems to be developped for open baffle operation and does everything a bit better than just a given driver as the Focal is.

I should add here that if i hadn't exerienced a long-term listening fatigue with my Lowthers, i never would have started to experiment with other speakers. The Focal was not the 1st driver i tried, it was the one I decided to settle on for longer listening. My first test was done with an oval TV speaker bought at a surplus shop for one Euro per piece and even this speaker i preferred to the enclosured Lowther. I crawled through my attic and found other drivers, tried them out, liked them all. Sorry for giving the Lowthers such a hard time here , just reporting my experiences. I never tried the Lowther out in an open baffle, i had a buyer for it and did not want to scratch the veneer or to unmount the special unmountable front shield. I had read websites claiming the Lowther in open baffle mode outperforms any Lowther enclosure. From my experience i believe any single word. But from an engineering point of view, i would never do it except for a caaaareful try. Xmax is 1mm total, TMK, and i don't want to smash the delicate voice coil into the pole piece by an accidental pressing bubble pop on the record (or by forgetting the GC is open when i lower the tonearm :-) ).

Quote:
I did consider and trial many types of resistors. Beyschlag metal films do not have voltage ratings to suit tube amps. I prefer carbon film to metal oxide and carbon composition resistors. This is sound wise. There are high stability carbon film resistors and I have not had any stability problems over the years with 1W and 2W types. I must admit that I have not tried Tantalum nitride units.

Interesting. Beyschlag metal film is preferred by most for tube amps here. I suppose they are specified for 300V across the resistor. Few resistors have to bear full supply voltage though so this may work out.

If the carbon films sound fine to your ears, no reason to weed them out.

Carbon composite is noisy. Tantalum nitride resistors are hard to obtain, very expensive and not all values are at hand. I tried them out, sonic beauties. but then there are also Caddocks and Vishay metal band resistors and i believe the latter are the most accurate sounding ones.

Hide this!Advertise here!