greetings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,
I'm very happy to have stumbled (literally, with StumbleUpon... check it out!) this site! I have a burgeoning interest in electronics, mostly the computer hard/software kind, but in electronic instruments as well...
I go to school at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester NY where I am a TA to the computer music center. I work all of the remote gigs, lugging Mackie hr 824s, mixers, the usual, in addition to teaching the Intro to Computer Music class (in the Spring).
Lately I have become more and more interested in sound sculpture and homemade instruments that involve plugs, power, resisters, conductors, tubes, chips, boards, wires, anything fun and possibly deadly. My sum total of experience is limited to fixing old broken radios by replacing fuses and soldering parts that have come off back on. Yes, impressive I know, but one has to start somewhere!
I look forward to posting soon, and from the look of the number of posts and replies, will not have to wait long thereafter for knowledge!

Cheers,

Scott (scacinto)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sounds like fun at school! Welcome to the forum.

Sound gadgets are big time fun. I did a good bit of work with that kind of stuff when I lived in Paris. Hung out at IRCAM and Radio France (GRM). Lots to learn there.

If you can find it, check out the CD "Gravikords, Whirlies, and Pyrophones". Tons of fun. Amazon should have it, or maybe the shool library.

Hint: A guitar or old telephone pick-up can do amazing things. All you need is vibrating metal to make the sound, and an amp to boost it. A whole world of ultra groovy sounds. Try it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.