Car Audio Advice??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I finally saved up $1,000 to get a decent car system. Right now I'm not concerned with a new deck. If anything, I'll get a new deck later on. I'm looking for speakers, subwoofers and amps. I have a 99 Ford Expedition so I plan on getting two 12" subs. My brother-in-law is going to install it and the way he installs it is by using 2 Amps. One amps is connected to the four speakers, while the other is for the Subwoofers.

So far, I'm thinking about getting:

4 - 150 Watt Rockford 3 way Speakers
1 - 750 Watt Sony Xplode amp (for Speakers)
1 - 600 Watt Punch amp (for Subwoofers)
2 - 12" 900 Watt Sony Xplode

One thing that concerns me is that I've been told that the Xplode amps get hot really fast.

Any input is greatly appreciated :)

From most of the car speakers I've seen, they seem to be fashion over function... (they can't ALL be bad though...)

Adire Audio has released some car speakers:
http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/koda_6.htm

Has anybody heard these? If I was buying new car speakers, I would definately take a long look at these. All of the Adire drivers that I've seen are no (cosmetic) frills, great sound, great price.

Well not to make you feel bad, but I really dont like your choices of equipment. Out of my expirence, the products youve mentioned arent worth their price.

For $1,000 you can get a much nicer system.

I am going to reccomend the brands I have purchased, becsaue I havent had problems but with one, and that was the CD Player so its not a factor for you currently.

To start out, I would buy the high freq, speakers first. I'm not a big fan of JL Audio becasue they are quite mainstream(I have a probem with that, yes), but none the less I own a pair of their speakers. I am upgrading to Focal soon though, so as Peter said, check them out. JL Speakers tend to be smoother sounding, and not exactly to my liking. I have listened to the Focal 165k's, or 6.5" Polykevlar component system, and was so impressed I am purchasing them. They can be had on ebay for $260. There are also very good pairs under this price.

Next step would be a subwoofer and an amplifier. Now you wanted the two 12" Xplodes, so I'm going to guess youve heard them. Now let me tell you this: From my expirence, they are some of the worst speakers you can buy. This may seem crazy, but trust me, youll like me if you go with something else. There is a new company to the world of car audio, and they are called Elemental Designs. ( www.edesignaudio.com ) They appeared in Feburary and have won many awards and world records in their short time here. I have ordered a 15" k series from them, and cant wait for its arrival. They have a sub and amp combo that will fit you nicely- Its a 12" A-series and a 800W amp for $600. Trust me, this sub will be louder than those two sonys could ever hope for and sound sooooo much better.

Now, finally an amp for your speakers. I own a kicker, and love it, have had no problems and it sounds very very nice. But, to stay under or near your $1000 price cap, I would get a JBL amplifier. they are the best bang for the buck, and it is shown through the large amount of people that own them. Again, they are mainstream, but the amp is one of the least important pieces as long as you have the correct power. I would not reccomend anything less than a JBL. Sony amps do not put out what they are rated, and use inferior components. Rockford amps have gone down in quality over the last few years, so if you want an older one I would go for it, but I would steer clear of the newer models.

For $1000, this is about the best you can do and you will be much happier with the results. But remeber the install is more than half the battle with this stuff. I would not purchase pre frabricated boxes, because they are not correct to anything, and are built from a "oh well it has a 12" hole a 12" sub must go in there!" philosiphy.

I hope you can find something you like out of what I've told you, and there are many many more options if you would like something else.

okay the sony xplod will get very hot but it was designed that way. éthe quality is well humm not very good. But you may be satisfied with result. Yous should listen to it first. For the sub I would definitly not take the sony xplod. Lack tightness like hell. But you must listen first.

Car Audio is not completely about being louder than the next guy. Thats what SPL competition is for. Sure, people have street beater systems that are loud and shake your house, but many are teenagers that dont know whats going on. Believe me, i'm a teenager and I go to school with all of them. I use my speakers conservatively and am going for all out SQ for my money.

Its true that some people are too loud sometimes but dont make a stereotype that we are all crazed and only want to make your roof cave in.

With a $1000 budget I would look at JVC or Pioneer headunit with mp3 support. Then a good component set, something like DEI 3065s, JL XR650 set, ID CXS series. You would want to go out and listen to them first, maybe you like something that sounds totally different. Then take a look at US Accoustics amplifiers, they are fairly inexpensive and well built and have good warranty. Single 10" or 12" subwoofer will provide enough bass for your system to sound full, unless your car has a very insulated trunk.

Personally I don't run any speakers in the back of my car, just a good set of components upfront and sub(s) in the back. That keeps the sound upfront and sounds great , but then again you might not like that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.