New Guy From Minneapolis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All
My name is Adam and i am coming to you from the home of Minnesota Nice Minneapolis, MN . A little about me, I am returning to the diy world after a 3 year absence. I will be seriously on the prowl for new projects to suck away any free time I may have. I need to build a Table, Transport, DAC, and of course a decent phonostage. I also will be rebuilding and modding my two integrateds a Bell 3030 and a Dyna SCA-35 other than that just wanted to say hello to all and i am glad to be a member
Atom F

Greetings from Queensland, Australia (home of the late Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter. Who, I gather, was better known in the US than back home in Oz. Ah, "a prophet without etc".). Haven't you forgotten something. When you say "suck away any free time you have" shouldn't you have also added "and any free money you may have" as well? And your speakers? Cheers, Jonathan

ahh yes speakers

well unfortunately the closest thing I have to speakes right now are my sennheiser hd-280 pro headphones. I plan on lookig for something to build to solve this problem post haste. Right now I am leaning towards a single driver full range set up. I have heard really good things about the cain and cain abbys and they outwardly seem like a reproducable design. Whatever i build i need to be power minded at this point considering both my dyna and my bell probably output 18 watts per channel at 4 ohms.

AtomiKM said:
Hello All
My name is Adam and i am coming to you from the home of Minnesota Nice Minneapolis, MN . A little about me, I am returning to the diy world after a 3 year absence. I will be seriously on the prowl for new projects to suck away any free time I may have. I need to build a Table, Transport, DAC, and of course a decent phonostage. I also will be rebuilding and modding my two integrateds a Bell 3030 and a Dyna SCA-35 other than that just wanted to say hello to all and i am glad to be a member
Atom F

Hello, I am beginning membership here today as well. Your location reminds me of Garrison Keillor.

Re: Re: Re: New Guy From Minneapolis

shallbehealed said:

I listen to a lot of public radio, but something about Keillor drives me insane.

:) I like the coolness of the NPR reporting. When I first used to listen to GK, I didn't like it. Either it began to grow on me or the writing changed. It just seems to be a little different to me then it was a couple of years ago. But still, sometimes I find myself not liking a show very much at all while other times I find it rather engaging. I think it was after I listened to Writer's Almanac that my view began to change, too.

shallbehealed said:
Hey, I'm also new and from Mpls. I'm just starting to get my feet wet in diy electronics, but I've done diy furniture in the past. I hope this turns out to be as fun as that!

I have found that one of the most rewarding DIY projects is speakers, especially subwoofers. Your woodworking experience should come in handy there.

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Guy From Minneapolis

Electrone said:

I have found that one of the most rewarding DIY projects is speakers, especially subwoofers. Your woodworking experience should come in handy there.

Actually, my woodworking skill is pretty poor, and my garage is unheated (not a pleasant shop in Minnesota), but my concrete skills are pretty damn good. I really like the aesthetic aspects of a really dark wood with bleak concrete.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Guy From Minneapolis

shallbehealed said:

Actually, my woodworking skill is pretty poor, and my garage is unheated (not a pleasant shop in Minnesota), but my concrete skills are pretty damn good. I really like the aesthetic aspects of a really dark wood with bleak concrete.

Very interesting that you should mention this. I actually made my subwoofer out of concrete. I decided to go for ultimate stiffness and cabinet deadness at lower bass frequencies. http://www.geocities.com/jomeis1/Concrete_Subwoofer.html

Besides, my woodworking ability is poor as well, so using concrete actually gives a more acceptable appearance. However, I have figured out a halfway decent way to get an extremely stiff box out of wood as well. But I have only thought about it and have not made a speaker out of wood for 25 years now.

My work space is unheated too. I only do hobby work during the warm months. But up there, you really feel a 'brrr'.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Guy From Minneapolis

Electrone said:

Very interesting that you should mention this. I actually made my subwoofer out of concrete. I decided to go for ultimate stiffness and cabinet deadness at lower bass frequencies. http://www.geocities.com/jomeis1/Concrete_Subwoofer.html

I wanna see pictures!

Btw, there was a concrete turntable built in the late 80's. It hard a very rough finish, with a mesh "rebar" sticking out. I think it may have been more an art project than an exercise in fidelity.

Electrone said:

My work space is unheated too. I only do hobby work during the warm months. But up there, you really feel a 'brrr'.

But we arent getting as much snow as Texas!

AtomiKM said:
Hello All
Atom F

Hey adam, Zc here. I am in Mpls as well. have a big shop and lots of toys. just bought a nice 2hp milling machine to make my own chassis with. let me know if you need anything. i am always clearing stuff out...

Zc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.