Am I in the right place? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2006, 08:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Am I in the right place?

Introductions, it says, so:
I'm not exactly new, more well run in. Vintage, I like that.
I've been playing with audio electronics since valves (tubes) were the only way to get decent quality audio(and transistors had numbers like OC71). I've now been living in (well, I've got a flat otside with my bed and science fiction books in it, but essentially I reside here) in this recording studio for the last twenty-seven years, and previous to that I've been a touring sound engineer, console designer and builder, theatre sound technician, louspeaker test engineer… quite a lot of things in pro audio. I'm now THX certified which is a bit like being locked in an asylum, but without the free meals. When valves and transistors were the answer to audio questions, I was a pretty good Mr. Fixit; the universitality of digits has left me and my 'scope somewhat on the shelf.
I should have some use to somebody here; perhaps ancient keyboards, or ribbon microphones?
Old 5th September 2006, 09:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'd say you're in the right spot. Welcome. There's lot's of "old school" tubes (valves), class-a circuits as well as newer stuff Class-D LCD projection. All kinds of stuff catches on fire. We all have our favorites
Old 5th September 2006, 10:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
No mate, you're in the wrong place.

But now that you are here, you can hand out some names of good restaurants and audio(parts) stores in Genève.
Old 6th September 2006, 12:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Chris, and welcome to diyAudio.

Nice to see another ex-roadie on the forum, I used to use Audio Rent in Switzerland, the Claire Bros franchise, was that your mob?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 6th September 2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forums Chris.
Old 6th September 2006, 10:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Parts stores? You'll be lucky. Oh, if you're desperate, Fred'll probably have something in Zap sono, but our only parts store has degenerated to selling disco gear and TV stands : I get all my components from Zürich. Restaurants, on the other hand; is it you that's paying , or a producer?
No, I wasn't with Audio Rent (though I know them, of course) I was with Clair's out of Lititz, PA. But I would expect several roadies; after all, as a class, we're more diy and if anything, more audio than almost any other equivalent group.
Studio engineers now, when something breaks, we order a new one; when you're on the road this is frequently not an option, and many strange gadgets came into being in the most unexpected of venues.
Old 6th September 2006, 10:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Too true. Any thoughts on a first project?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 6th September 2006, 11:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
I get all my components from Zürich. Restaurants, on the other hand
I'm a lucky stiff when it comes to restaurants.
I ate at Maxim's in Paris the day before it was bombed.
(funny thing: i was also in the Bologna railwaystation a day before it was bombed in 1980. Spooky ! I ate at Maxim's too back then on my way to Italy. )
Last Februari i was in Zürich and Züg, company tab dinners allround. Zürich is an audio gourmand's treat.
(bars,clubs and disco's too. )

Looking forward to reading more of your words on acoustic measures, Chris.
Old 11th September 2006, 11:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

crispencate, I welcome you to the forums. It is alway s good to have some "redneckers" (we call it "rednecking" when we duck tape something together and it works) around to compensate in a low-cost manner.

Hide this!Advertise here!