Hi from NYC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2006, 07:37 AM   #1
SY847 is offline SY847  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hi from NYC

Hey everyone,

I've been browsing the boards fow the past few days, and finally joined this morning so I could post.

I start college this fall, and I built my first set of speakers this year. My high school has a speaker building class, with parts supplied by Zalytron.

My current setup is a set of speakers using a 6" JM Lab Polyglass woofer a JM Lab titanium inverted dome tweeter (the cheap one that goes for about $30 US.) The boxes are re-veneered Boston Acoustics A60 enclosures with a new baffle (all of the bookshelf kits my school offered used these boxes to keep kit prices low.) It was nice to see that the inductors included with my kit used 16 (or maybe 14?) gauge wire.

It's being driven by a Yamaha RX-596 stereo receiver which I picked up from eBay for $110. They have decent bass, and everything sounds really clear. I think the speakers are a bit bright. The mid-range is a bit muddy compared to the W-coned woofers my friends used.

Any comments on my setup? thanks
Old 20th August 2006, 03:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default wrong thread

woops

I finally figured out to check the I have searched button to post, but I accidently placed the thread in the wrong forum. Can a moderator move it to the Introductions forum? Thanks.
Old 20th August 2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Woops...done.

Comments? Build yourself a nice amplifier to match the speakers. Will probably cost more than $110 though.

Welcome, SY847.

/Hugo
Old 20th August 2006, 07:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Boston Acoustics cabinet originally housed an 8" woofer -- is the driver the 6VE3251B 6.5 inch you are talking about? Spec's are on Zalytron's website.

Can't help that the cabinet is about 0.68 cubic feet -- I would suggets that you mount the woofer and tweeter on the side panels -- they should fit -- then replace what was the front with MDF and veneer over it. Are the cabinets 1/2" or 3/4" material -- you can help them out with some internal bracing.
Old 20th August 2006, 10:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yea, its the focal jmlab 6VE3251B.

I'd try mounting them on the side, but I'd have to redo the terminal cup installation, etc.

The parts aren't flush mounted and I plan on having the baffle redone. I also need to get some acousta-stuff or dacron to fill the inside.

Since I'm going off to college, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for music. I don't know if I'm going to build my own system, or buy a commercial set of computer speakers.

If I were to build my own system, I'd need a small amplifier that wouldn't take up too much space. At school, we used donated receivers that were about the size of a VCR. When I got my yamaha receiver, I couldn't believe how big it was. The Super T-Amp seems interesting, but I'm not sure if 10 watts/channel is enough. I've also been looking into the full range hi efficiency fostex drivers.

As for commercial computer speaker systems, it seems like every company advertises the high power output of their systems even though the THD is high. The idea of THX certification seems iffy.
Old 21st August 2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forums
Old 21st August 2006, 02:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

my advice to you, young man, is that you use a finish which can withstand mild exposure to alcohol.

you will also find that your roomies will attempt to destroy your speakers when you are absent the premises.

Hide this!Advertise here!