Hello from PA! (Project suggestions?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

I am new to DIY audio and am very excited to have come across this site. So far almost all of the topics are above my head but I am still enjoying reading the topics. I am attending school for audio electronics but so far we have just learned basic electronic theory so I understand how individual components work, but have yet to understand how things work when put together (besides basic resistor/capacitor series parallel combinations). But I guess this is why I go to school :).

I am currently building my first set of speakers and am having a great time doing it. I would love to be able to use these speakers in my room at school, so I would be using my computer's sound card as a source. What else would be needed so this would work? Amp and so forth? I would love to build any components myself so if anyone has any suggestions of projects that are basic and at a reasonable price range I would really appreciate it!!!

Also if there are any websites that can be suggested in the intermediate level that explains amp and other audio equipment basics I would love to read them. Most sites I have come across explain the basics (like what a resistor is) or are as complicated as the topics on this site. Is there anything in the middle??

The minimum is a power amp. You can use the volume control on your computer, but I find it convenient to have a physical knob handy. You could use either a passive attenuator (dual gang pot in between sound card output and power amp) or a preamp.

Great source of information and projects:

http://sound.westhost.com/

You might have a go at some things like open baffle, 3" full range drivers, mini subs (not necessarily all together).

You might also look at using a computer digital active crossover. Check out thuneau.com - a member of this forum.

Also keep in mind that diy amps aren't always cheaper/better than some amps that you can buy already made. IMO speakers and preamps are the most cost effective DIY projects. A $1k can be built for under $100 and a $5k speaker can be built for $1k.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.