Hello from NE Ohio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!! I'm another tube noob trying to learn the ropes of DIY tube audio. I am an electronics tech of over 25 years but all my experence is with solid state. I have messed around with some tube guitar amps and have done some simple tube reciever recaps with success but now I want to dig a little bit deeper. If you guys don't mind I think I will just lurk in the background for awhile. I have been buying old tube consoles for parts for my first Diy project. It looks like I will be following the footsteps of many as I think I will opt for some type of 6BQ5 amp. That seems to all that I run accross in these old units I have found. I really need to improve my knowlege of transformers both output and power so I will be getting some books on this topic also I would like to learn A little about how to incorperate phase splitters in my design as I have come accross a truck load of 12AU7s.
For now I think I will just sit back and read these forms and try to follow other members projects and try to absorb whats going on.:cannotbe:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi coman61,
From one tech to another - you'll love this site! Enjoy!

A couple"must have" books, if I may reccomend them. The Radiotron Designers Handbook (tome) #4,or RDH 4. It's can be downloaded from the net if you haven't. Lucky me, I have a copy in rough shape. A current book, "Valve Amplifiers" by Morgan Jones. Amazon carries it.

Any other bits you can get a hold of in the way of information is great.

6BQ5/EL84's tend to be really nice sounding amplifiers, and a good place to start. You can jump into 6L6 and 6CA7 / EL34 territory later.

-Chris

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks fellows I think this is going to be a great place to learn from others who have wondered down the DIY path. I just found another 6BQ5 console that has mono blocks (sort of). Actually they are intagrateds (kind of). It seems one was a remote to the other and the volume was controled by the main but the remote amp had its own bass treble and presents control. It came from a Zenith Phono and it has a tape input. This is probally the wrong place to discuss this so I will move to the tube forms when I learn a little more about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.