Me! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2006, 08:48 PM   #1
JaRoD is offline JaRoD  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default Me!

I realised that I've forgotten to introduce myself around here

I'm from Finland, and my education is in computer science. My largest interests are computers, hifi and electronics. I do have alot of other interests too but they aren't really that relevant to this forum anyway. Unless of course I go insane and build a huge sub, then one of my interests would be very helpful when moving it, so to speak...

I like my things to be perfect, so when I need to buy some gadget or something I first research it for days to find the one that's really cheap and has all the features I want/need and don't really need at all.

In regards to hifi, I want my subs to be small and play deep!! and I'm not talking about some silly 20-25. I want to be able to play "jurassic lunch" and hear/feel every footstep. So far no luck with that but I'm getting closer and closer. And the funny thing is that my subs are getting smaller and smaller First indoor sub I had was a phoenix gold 15" in a 70 liter box, it was nice and very efficient but I used a passive filter and drove it in parallel with the normal speakers from a cheap sony packetstereo... It was in a way too small box and was about 15-20 db down at 20 hz. But still could pack a punch at 10 hz with enough amplification.

Then can xls and I was hooked! First in 50 ported, resulted in lots of noise from the port. Then with a passive radiator in a 35 liter box and that worked well but didn't go under about 22-24 hz. But I used that one for many years. Until I just a week ago built a new box for it since it moves on the floor even with my big heavy friend sitting on it when playing 25 hz tones...

Now I built a 18 liter sealed box out of 25 mm mdf instead of using 18 mm particleboard as I've done before. Still moved on the floor a little but with some soft rubber feet it's mostly standing still. Weirdly it plays about as deep as with a passive radiator but still can't do the "jurassic lunch" that well. That one btw, contains some forest noises like birds and such at a lowish level. And then there's the sub 20 hz stuff If the sub can't go under 25 the listener only gets some birds... If I remember correctly it has info all the way down to 8 hz so sealed was way I went.

I have another 10" xls coming and I have a 12" incase I need it but after using just the 1 for a few days I'm pretty sure 2 will be enough. This turned out to be a long post, sometimes I just keep on going and going when writing. I'll post more some other day if I have the enery and I'll probably have to edit this post for misspellings and other weirdness.
Old 14th August 2006, 06:08 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. You'll find there are lots of knowledgeable loudspeaker people here.
Old 16th August 2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forums. Love live the DIY speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!