New to DIY audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all! I am new here... well, I registered a while back and have been lurking in the shadows ever since. I am quite new to the whole hi-fi audio hobby, but have enjoyed it so far. Since it seems that you can get so much more for you money, I want to learn as much about DIY as possibe.

I thought I would purchase a soldering iron.... could someone suggest what beginning tools I would need to get started with a little home work shop dedicated to working on my own audio stuff? Also, what kind of little projects do you suggest I begin with? I have been a plumber all my life, so I have soldered pipes many many times...but I have never soldered anything with an iron... so, I know its another world.

As for me, I am currently going through a mid-life career change...going to college to become a school teacher (got hurt several years back and am disabled). I have eight children, with number nine due to arrive in a little less than a month (another girl, making a grand total of 6 girls and three boys). I also have two beautiful grandchildren! (girls)

I have always enjoyed good audio equipment and the more I get into it the more I want to do. It just seems so interesting and cost effective to learn to do some of these things yourself. So, I am learning and appreciate any help. Are any good site on the web with like A_Z tutorials? I have googled and come up with allot, but was wondering if there are any that people here would recommend? One thing that I have learned is that the terminology used is complex... for those of us who are green, it almost seems overwhelming.

I am thankful for a good place to learn and ask questions!

Welcome to the forum!

Besides the usual hand tools and a soldering iron, you'll want to invest a little bit in a reliable multimeter and a decent oscilloscope (second-hand will do well). With those in hand, you've got the basics and will more often be limited by your own cleverness and experience rather than from the tools.

If your computer has a good sound card, you'll be amazed at what you can do- sophisticated instruments like spectrum analyzers are simple to emulate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.