Introducing Ground Sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I'm close, It's probably the 18, allowing for a higher analog voltage.

Dynamic range of the speaker :smash: ... Well I guess, I might be able to get to the 110 dB At most frequencies :D .

Well, I'll keep on waiting until the product is finished. I'm patient :)

Thanks for the great info!

I still have a CDPro2M laying around. Would it be possible to feed I2S signal from the cd player into the DCN28DAV? Probable keeping the wires very short (10 cm or so).

I currious how the DCN28DAV will compare with its rival products. Pricewise I think it wil be somewhere between a DCX2496 and a DEQX PDC-2.6P (also because its only the pcbs). Question is of course where will it be in terms of quality and capabilities..

Anyway its good to see more usable products of this type.

Duck-Twacy said:
I still have a CDPro2M laying around. Would it be possible to feed I2S signal from the cd player into the DCN28DAV? Probable keeping the wires very short (10 cm or so).

I currious how the DCN28DAV will compare with its rival products. Pricewise I think it wil be somewhere between a DCX2496 and a DEQX PDC-2.6P (also because its only the pcbs). Question is of course where will it be in terms of quality and capabilities..

Anyway its good to see more usable products of this type.

DCN28DAV will not take I2S direct – but if you are very keen on a direct feed from the CDPro2M you could desolder the DAI receiver…..no warranty and no other digital input possibilities. The choice is yours of course and keep the wires short - very short. :cool:

4real said:
I think I can answer that with a NO. You'd have to convert DSD to PCM anyway to be able to do any DSP'ing with it (you actually can do DSP stuff in DSD, but it is a whole lot more complex than in PCM).

Correct – SACD / DSD is 1 bit with higher sampling rate and demands noise shaping filtering technique.
The DAI receiver accepts 16bits-24bits and 32kHz-192kHz.
DVD audio should work, but no TDM / multi channels...no decoding capability

Robert GS said:

-110dB should do. :cool:

Hello Robert,

I am also in the run for a digital filter. Are you going to release measurements when the product is finished? :D

I've used the behringer DCX but I think it lacks quality for usage in high end systems. The filter works perfect, but I loose clarity. The dcx brings in too much noise, which gets worse with complicated filters. Hopefully you solved all this! ;)

How long before spring?! :clown:

Best regards,

Martijn

Hello Martijn.

I am also in the run for a digital filter.

Very good – I look forward to sell you one or as many as you like!!!

Are you going to release measurements when the product is finished?

No – why should I? :D People will only compare the measurements to the rather misguiding specs of ex. DCX? :mad:
Sorry – I couldn’t help it – of course I will populate specs, but it might not be as “good” as my competitors’ products. Then what can you use that for? :confused:

I've used the Behringer DCX but I think it lacks quality for usage in high end systems.

Me too – I got the DCX for my Disco, but even modified a bit it doesn’t perform. What the heck – it’s a very old construction and very cheap!:D

The filter works perfect, but I loose clarity. The DCX brings in too much noise, which gets worse with complicated filters.

This might be the hardware (PCB design and construction) or the DSP (66MIPS and 48kHz –DCN23 is around 500MIPS) or all of it! I doubt it’s the converters, but...

Hopefully you solved all this!

I really hope so too. The DCN23 performs much better than the DCX – so I think I have a good chance of succeeding with the DCN28DAV too, but then again…? :)

How long before spring?!

To me it has been spring for months as the hardware proto is working, but…soon hopefully. :cool:

Robert GS said:
No – why should I? :D People will only compare the measurements to the rather misguiding specs of ex. DCX? :mad:

I'm guessing that the people that don't want to buy a DCX will not comare stock DCX specs (Behringer does not even specs a lot actually) with yours. And by showing measurements, at least we know that you don't sell ******** ;) If they are as good as the groundsound amps you should have nothing to worry about. I have never seen any good measurements of the DCX actually...

This might be the hardware (PCB design and construction) or the DSP (66MIPS and 48kHz –DCN23 is around 500MIPS) or all of it! I doubt it’s the converters, but...

Actually internal processing is 96 Khz. And since it does IIR just as is DCN23 the filters will be basically the same, and will therefore need an equal amount of processing. You could also say that the DCX DSP is much more efficient... You don't offer much more filter option than the DCX so there should not be a whole lot of difference. The advantage DCN DSP is that is has better processing features such as dithering. But simply comparing MIPS is just to easy...

Anyway, what DSP is the DCN28 going to have?

Behringer does not even specs a lot actually

Okay you got me on that - I didn't know how many specs they show and I have had the measurements on the homepage for ages without really showing them!! The pics have been uploaded for more than one and a half year, but I have forgotten to code the DCN23 page! Embarrassing – thank you for making me aware. ;)

Actually internal processing is 96 Khz. And since it does IIR just as is DCN23 the filters will be basically the same, and will therefore need an equal amount of processing. You could also say that the DCX DSP is much more efficient... You don't offer much more filter option than the DCX so there should not be a whole lot of difference. The advantage DCN DSP is that is has better processing features such as dithering. But simply comparing MIPS is just to easy...

Okay – it’s so easy, then I’m much better at doing something right, but what? :confused:
I haven’t counted the numbers of filter, but you can’t ignore the fact that the ADSP 21065 only has 66MIPS. How much more efficient can the processor be? :confused:
I don’t use any dithering = noise – noise is introduced in the ADC/input buffer, so why add more? :confused:

Robert GS said:
Okay you got me on that - I didn't know how many specs they show and I have had the measurements on the homepage for ages without really showing them!! The pics have been uploaded for more than one and a half year, but I have forgotten to code the DCN23 page! Embarrassing – thank you for making me aware. ;)

I would really be interested in them :)

Okay – it’s so easy, then I’m much better at doing something right, but what? :confused:

I never said it was easy... It's just easy to compare MIPS and say that based on that one is better than the other..

I haven’t counted the numbers of filter, but you can’t ignore the fact that the ADSP 21065 only has 66MIPS. How much more efficient can the processor be? :confused:

Well, I tried to get some more information on that, but it is very difficult to compare the two, since Ti doesn't actually offer a low of information on it's internal workings. Counting MIPS can be done in lots of ways...

I don’t use any dithering = noise – noise is introduced in the ADC/input buffer, so why add more? :confused: [/B]

Well, what else do you do to get from the internal data format to the 24 bits that go into the DAC? Dithering might introduce a bit of extra noise, but you will also gain resolution. Without it, you will get a bit more THD. So it's a choice you can make.. Anyway, dither in 24 bit audio will be below the rest of the noise, and you could therefore argue the need of dithering in 24 bit audio applications.

Showing measurements might give you more potential buyers. The people I know who are interested in Groundsound will only buy a Groundsound when there are proven specs (or when pricing is like behringer style). I am one of them. Showing good measurements will distinguish yourself in a positive way from the competitors that don't publish testresults and therefor may be talking rubbish.

PLease keep us informed! We appreciate it! :up:

That is actually to bad. Would be great to be able to set the individual levels via the volume control chip, and then let it do the master volume. That way the DSP can use full resolution on every channel :)

Should be fairly easy to implement in the uC controlling the thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.