Hello From JiggerMan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I'm Aaron from pittsburgh.

I am senior to repairing cb radios but very new to repairing car audio. I have tools, soldering gear, power supplies and a scope and all that. I have a pile of broken car stereos and amps so I decided to dig them. This online community has been very helpful so far.

I got through my first project ok. I had a nice pioneer with bad output chip in the back. I had audio signal and power to the chip but no output. ONce I unbolted the chip amp I noticed the big hole blown in it. (that explained the blown fuse when I got it..) I got a pal007a chip for $8 on electronix.com and put it in. it works perfect now.

Thank you everyone for welcoming me here.

My question is, when I am working on audio output with no speakers connected to channels, do I need a dummy load like I do working on cb and rf radios? Could anyone elaborate on this for me?

Thanks,
Aaron Miller from Pittsburgh
Cb Handle is "JiggaMan" 32cbshop.com

Hi JiggaMan
Audio amplifiers are typically not mismatched to an open circuit load the way a transmitter can be. Broadly speaking they strive to be a voltage source, with a low Zo.

I would use a dummy load anyway. It will ensure you get the picture from a working point of view. Dummy loads are also essential when working on valve equipment. Without a dummy load, a high signal voltage could develop across the devices that might destroy them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.