What a group!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I sort of accidentally stumbled across the boards today as I was searching for, well, the boards! Oddly enough, it took a search for CNC prototypes to link me here.

Anyway, here I am. I actually just started to get into the DIY audio scene by way of a few points on the map. I had a trip to Norway a couple years ago, and was able to walk into one of those stores we US people only get to read about. You know, the ones with HiFi stero equipment, and attendents dressed all in black wearing white gloves? You know the type. Then I had to come back to the states, where we have Circuit City and Best Buy. :bawling:

And just recently we actually got a small HiFi shop in our fair City. I literally stumbled across it. It's a little store with rows of tube amps and electrostatics. I must have stayed in the store for two hours just listening to various music on his systems.

Then I got home and cried. Of course, I could marginally afford to buy a system from him, but where's the fun in that? So here I am, reading books, searching for info, and looking for a way to get into building my own tube systems. I do so love tubes....

So hello friends from all over the world! Here's to a successful venture in premium sound reproduction!

Will

I live down in Central VA, near Richmond.

I'm hoping to start my first project soon. I think I'm going to buy one of those "cheap" ~$150 fun-with-tubes kits to start. I've got a BS in Physics, and have had a bit of electronics education, but that was 5 or 6 years ago.

After that I'll start getting more advanced. :devilr:

Hey all! Thanks for the great welcome.

Quick question: I picked up a box of about 70 or so tubes at a yard sale for $10 :cool:

And they look really cool, all in original boxes, etc...

But I don't know what any of them are! heh. Is there a quick way to tell or a reference site, or something to tell me the purposes of all these sweet tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.