Hallo allemaal / Hello everybody - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2002, 10:03 AM   #1
edm is offline edm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Hallo allemaal / Hello everybody

I am Emiel Metselaar and live in the Netherlands. Three quarters of year ago i made my home build speakers and got infected with the 'audio' virus. Currently they (the speakers) are running passively, but i am in the process of converting them to active ones. For this project (which am taking very slooooowww) i am already passively following this forum for a some time now.

At the moment i have 'designed' the pcb's for the active filters, which are based on the info from the Linkwitz webpage. The initially planned LM3886 amp chips for this project are already cancelled, thanks to a friend of mine who convinced me that a discrete design would/could be 'better'. He also provided a discrete alternative, which i am going to try. So that part is also covered, what needs to be done is the preamp section.

I got an ok from my girlfriend to proceed with this audio stuff (luky me ) if i created something she also could use and it was not to big/scary/etc. So the idea was that the preamp should be the heart of my system. Some things it should do/have:
- a remote control
- switch the amps on/off
- switch between the various input sources
- control the volume (duh)
- mute function

I was very happy to see the 'Son of Dork' project from which i hoped to 'steal'some ideas, but I have the impression that the project died a slow death, dorkus????? The 'design'of the preamp is in a state that the digital board with the microcontroller is done, the programming is done. And a test board for the input swithing, volume control, amplifying is almost done. I already opened a topic about the volume control part in the solid state section, so that i can finalize it.

With this board I would like to do some comparisons between opamps, and discrete opamps. And based on that info make a finalized design.

O yeah something about my background, I have an Applied Physics degree and learned some of the basic electronics stuff. But since i started trying to compose a working preamp I found that there is a large difference between being able to measure and understand the basics and cooking something up that actually works. The difficulties I alread encountered:
- finding the parts you need by yourself,
- reading technical document (the information is there, but the documents are soooo compressed), etc...
- finalize something

So all in all i am an electronic noob willing to learn, living by the motto "why, because we can" and sometimes suffering from "If all you have is a hammer, everything else looks like a nail".

emiel

O yeah i have searched the forums, but before i did that i already was convinced that i did not introduced myself before .

O yeah2: Since everybody in the pass section are always thanking Nelson Pass, i would like to thank the person(s) providing this great forum.
Old 20th November 2002, 11:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Emiel, welcome to the forums

Don't write off chip amps totally, you can get some very good results, as I am finding out with the LM3875...

It sound like you are well hooked on DIY audio already, it will be good to have your input to the forums.
Quote:
"If all you have is a hammer, everything else looks like a nail"
I used to know a Lighting Designer who had a special flightcased toolbox for site, on the top, in a tray, was a pair of white silk gloves, on the bottom was a selection of hammers, from tiny tack hammers to 4lb lump hammers!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 20th November 2002, 01:08 PM   #3
ststone is offline ststone  United States
diyAudio Member

Default welkom

Hi Emiel, welcome to these fine forums.
You will find lots of info down here.

btw heb je je schoen reeds gezet ?
Old 20th November 2002, 01:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Don't write off chip amps totally

Quote:
Don't write off chip amps totally
I won't, i am going to use them in a first prototype (free samples ). The reason is that the discrete alternative is finished schematic wise but the pcb layout is not completely done.

The filters and the preamp will/can be completed first and tested with the chip amp. I hope to etch the pcb's next week.

And i hope i have improved my soldering skills when i start with the discrete amp, because my friend decided that the BC847BS and BC857BS should be used in the differential section. And since i have seen the picture Peranders has on his webpage i got a little bit freightened Click the image to open in full size..
Old 20th November 2002, 01:56 PM   #5
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Don't write off chip amps totally

Quote:
Originally posted by edm
And i hope i have improved my soldering skills when i start with the discrete amp, because my friend decided that the BC847BS and BC857BS should be used in the differential section. And since i have seen the picture Peranders has on his webpage i got a little bit freightened
Yes, this isn't for everyone! But still, you can solder this if you have a solder iron with a fine tip and a steady hand. See what I have done and I'm normal "handy".
Old 20th November 2002, 01:59 PM   #6
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

See this picture also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qsxm2_sot363_detail.jpg (17.6 KB, 350 views)
Old 20th November 2002, 02:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Peranders what about etching, can this be done using the standard diy pcb brewery (print on sheet, put sheet on pcb, apply uv light etc)? I can imagine that these fine traces are hardly do-able in the home setup. We planned to give it a try last weekend, but stuff came up so it will be later...
Old 24th November 2002, 10:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Senior Member

Default HUP HUP HOLLAND.

Hello Emiel,

Quote:
got infected with the 'audio' virus
Not a very unique desease here.

Still beats a flue hands down,donnit?

Cheers and enjoy,
Old 25th November 2002, 12:36 AM   #9
ststone is offline ststone  United States
diyAudio Member

Talking about the flue, there is no such thing around here, just herons and alligators

hup, holland hup laat de leeuw niet in zijn hempie staan
Old 25th November 2002, 12:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Default OUR GOLDEN SPURS HAVE BEEN EARNED

Hi,

I think that on average a new dutch guy signs up every week.

Hello Belgium,what's gong on?

Dag Steve,

Hide this!Advertise here!