Hello from Philadelphia, USA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, I've been lurking around these forums for a couple of years on and off, and lately it's been mostly on. I've become very interested in building a hi-fi system from source to driver, and I've been reading articles here and elsewhere almost every day. I've got some mid-fi equipment that I'm running now :

Pioneer PL-550 Turntable with Grado Prestige blue cartridge
NoName DVD Player
Sony STR-D365 150Wx2 (yeah, right) receiver
Wharfedale Valdus 400s

The Pioneer was my father's, my father bought me the Sony when I was 14, and I came into the Wharfedales about 6 years ago. I've no illusion as to the performace of the Wharfedales, but I think they can still sound a whole lot better with a nicer amp, so I'm going to start there. I'm thinking 4780, maybe bridge two later. I'm also interested in building a preamp in parallel with the amp, but as far as what design, that's still up in the air. After that, speakers.

I'm also helping my friend fix a pair of speakers he has, Design Acoustics PS-10a. The 10" downfiring woofer surrounds have rotted completely and I'm going to replace surrounds for him.

Well, thanks for all the great threads around here, I have a feeling you're going to have another addict on your hands pretty soon! Cheers!

peranders said:
Hello yourself from Sweden and welcome to the biggest diyaudio forum in the world. "Big is beautiful", don't you americans say that? :grouphug: :wave2:

In this case bigger is definately beautiful! I'm daily amazed by the personalities and expertise on this forum, including yourself! Thanks for stopping in to say hi!

SY said:
Welcome to the forum. Time to get building! You will not lack for possible projects to eat up your time and money.

I lived in Philly some years back; great town. Saw a few Phillies games and I will attest that everything that people say about Philadelphia fans is true.

Yeah, you should have seen it two years ago when we went to the superbowl! Philly sports fans are fierce and fanatic! BTW, judging by your sig and location, you must be a wine fiend! I'm a big beer guy, I used to cook at a Belgian tavern, but I like my wines too. I think I'll have an opportunity to learn more soon, as my mentor is helping open a wine bar here in Philly, and asked me to come over with him! He and the owner both used to work at Le Bec Fin under Daniel Stern, and they're supposed to have something like 70 by the glass, with another 100 by the bottle, just to start!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.