Hi from India

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to India -- I wonder how many Indians know of the tremendous technology which went on in India in 10th century metallurgy -- I was shocked when I saw these enormous iron pillars cast at the same time the Konarak (Orissa) temple was built -- the technology and harnessing of energy, probably charcoal, must have been the most prodigious focus of energy in the history of mankind to that point.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ashok said:
Any idea when and where people started mining ore and extracting metal for the very first time? That should come just after the "stone age". And was it Copper that was first extracted ?
Wonder how they figured it out from scratch!
Cheers.
there is archaelogical evidence that suggests that the Bronze and Iron Ages predate those of Europe and the Mideast by hundreds of years. Aftrer I went to Konarak, Bhubeneswahr, Puri, etc. I picked up two books on Indian metallurgy, really archaelolgy and metallurgy combined, at a bookstore near the University in Leiden --

another Konarak:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

eating Dal, Okra and Cauliflower for 2 months, drinking nothing but beer and tea -- and then the Pepto-Bismol ran out -- at Hampi --

btw, if you want to see what an environmental catastrophe can become visit Hampi -- they made the dessert bloom for a few hundred years until the climate changed --- George Lucas stole a scene from the great temple at Hampi and its massive Narashima.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.